1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK problems

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pissbass, Aug 31, 2013.

1. pissbass

pissbass

Sooooo... this is the second time I've had issues with my rig. It's a GK 1001rb II into a GK Neo 4x12. First time I had a problem it was two weeks into playing and one of the speakers starting buzzing out. Under warranty, got replaced, no big deal. Now there's a distortion coming through. Checked all the cables, does it with all my guitars, it does it at low volume at high volume, sprayed contact cleaner in all the knobs, inputs, outputs, I checked all the screws along the speakers. All levels are set to the factory setting for "jazz/fusion" from the owners manuel. Sounds amazing. Until this. The only effect I run is an ehx bass fuzz pi. I do play heavy prog rock/post hardcore. Thinking about switching to an Ampeg rig. Anybody else have these kind of problems playing heavy music with GK?:eyebrow:
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Do you have the tweeter on with the bass fuzz? If so it most likely fried. If you want to run distortion you need a tweeter-less cab no matter what the brand. If you think G-K is your problem it may be time to try others, just heed the tweeter in speaker cab warning with any brand.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Yes. Me.

The majority of people don't, and tons of people will show up in a minute to defend their gear. :)

Had the same exact setup (only with 2 neo 2X12 bottoms), and had the same experience, including sending the cabs back. Gave GK one more shot with a 2X10 micro combo with an added 15. Similar experience, and I sent it all back immediately. Either peeps here play at much lower volumes than us, or we've just got lously luck with GK.
  4. B-string

So what brand solved your troubles? That may be the setup for the OP to look at.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    That would make sense now, wouldn't it. :)

Bergantino NV610. Using it with a Carvin BX500, but there are lots of heads that will do a fine job with that cab. I like the versatility in the Carvin. I still have a GK backline 600 that I've used with the Berg, and it absolutely destroys 4 GK neo 12s in terms of how much volume, punch and clarity it can put out. Without rattling, buzzing, or farting. No comparison btwn the Berg and the GK whatsoever, IME.
  6. B-string

Excellent!
  7. skunky33

skunky33

I know they had big issues in the past when they first changed from their "classic" line. I had one of those GK block 800rb amps for years and years with no problems and awesome tone. I believe flea played an old style 800rb on blood, sugar sex magic.
  8. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

I had a problem with a 15 inch GK cab several years ago. E-mailed them but got no reply. Switched to Markbass and have been happy ever since. Never would go back to GK gear
  9. BokiGroove

BokiGroove

Two of my friends had the same problems with speakers in GK NEO cabs, emailed GK, also never answered..I have just bought NEO112(second hand comes next week) and I pray to God to not have the same problem with it.
  10. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

I have two GK Neo 112 cabs with no issues, with a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0.
  11. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

I too emailed GK directly and never got a reply. However, for us Europeans warranty issues are handled by the dealers, not really fair to expect GK HQ to deal with us directly.

In my case Thomann fixed everything, and I recently purchased a new MB800 from them as well. 3 year warranty from Thomann, no need to be afraid of anything. :)
  12. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Supporting Member

No similar problems here. For a few years now, I have been using a 700RB-II, currently into 2 212 Neos with the tweeters bi-amped (at 9:00), sometimes "stoopid" loud (outdoors, no PA support), and no similar issues. I use an always-on overdrive, occasionally a distortion pedal and an active bass with the amp's 10db pad off, but I don't use a fuzz (I know, what the 'ell is wrong with me). And I've emailed GK questions, and have received reasonably prompt and very helpful replies. One of the tons of GK defenders, you may now label me.
  13. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

I use a GK Neo 212-ii with a GK RB700ii and have no problems. I use a Big Bass Muff and haven't had any troubles. I use the biamping capabilities that comes with GK products. Am I still at risk to blow my tweeter with fuzz?
  14. IPYF

IPYF

I had two consecutive GK RBX115s that died on me after only 45 minutes of play time each. My 1001ii has also blown up twice for unexplained reasons, once a fuse, once an exploded input capacitor. Like every manufacturer GK has their share of problems.

I'd not have another GK cab tbh. For the money there are plenty of other great cabs that I'd trust first. I think if I ever sold my amp (which I probably won't unless something bad happens to it) I'd probably not get a GK again, just for a change. Certainly it's been the least reliable amp head that I've ever owned.
  15. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I've never heard this before! I thought that part of GK's bi amping ability was there to keep distortion out of the tweeter, but able to distort the woofers, where it should stay. Is this only for "natural" distortion, i.e. cranking it up loud instead of using pedals?

I've used my GK rig with plenty of distortion, and there's no hiss, or distortion in it. I play pretty heavy music sometimes, and I often crank on numerous distortion pedals simultaneously. The only hiss I get is amp and gain hiss, and the gain hiss is easily controlled with a gate. Whatever happens, though. I hope that the OP finds a brand that works for him! Mine just happens to be GK!
  16. IPYF

IPYF

This is also news to me. I use a tube screamer to get a light tube-style drive through my cab (Which is a Trace Elliot 410). The tweeter in the TE has never flipped out due to the drive unit.
  17. B-string

The design keeps the distortion (or added harmonic content) of the "Boost" circuit from going to the tweeters. The boost circuit is after the effects return and electronic crossover. If you add in distortion before the internal crossover there is no magical filter or reconstruction circuit that will iron flat the waded paper. In other words it won't un cook your steak.
  18. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Supporting Member

I had some farting going on with my 700RB and 112neo, turned out to be my GK speakon cable. Other than that, no issues.

I love the GK tone, but they are known for some QC issues.
  19. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

So, it can tell between the "Boost" distortion and my pedals? I'm not sure I understand. Does the Boost only get routed to the woofers then, as in hard wired that way? Otherwise, doesn't the crossover separate the lows and highs and send them their own way? And wouldn't the distortion highs be sent their way with boost when the crossover does its thing? Thanks as always for helping out B!
  20. B-string

The signal goes into the electronic crossover, it is then split to the horn amp one way and to the boost circuit that only feeds the woofer amp. If you have effects that have high frequency distortion it will pass right through to the horns. Of course you can just turn the horn(s) down from the amp's front panel when you will be using them and avoid any damage that full power from the main amp would make possible. :)
    The horn amps are only 50 watts @ 8 ohms and 75 watts @ 4 ohms.