1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK RB1001-RB and 4 x 10 cab question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rolliefingers, Dec 12, 2012.

1. rolliefingers

rolliefingers

I'm currently using a GK RB1001-II with an Eden XLT 4 x 10 8 ohm cab for gigs (classic rock/blues). I'm really happy with it, but can't fit the cab in my compact car... Question: Will a Hartke 4 x 10XL handle this amp? I have a line on a cheap used one... i need a 4 x 10 that's no more than about 16" deep to get in my car... any thoughts? I apologize if this has been covered already.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Why not a pair of gk neo 112s?

3. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

That is the hot, lightweight stack these days.

4. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

FWIW...I had a Hartke 410xl 8ohm and did not like it. It was a decent cab but not my sound,(this coming from someone who has mostly played Ampeg). Anyways I am sure it will handle your GK 1001, just keep an ear on it if you start to push that cab to much. Those GK'S are known for some serious power. Good luck!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rolliefingers

rolliefingers

ok - thanks for your responses... I was just concerned the GK 1001-II would blow a hartke 4 x 10XL up (400W rated?) or be distorted... I turn the amp up almost half way at gigs with my Eden...

7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    800RB and the Hartke 410XL was a hot setup in the 90s. That 1001RB has twice the power though. I think I would look for something with a higher rating.

8. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

I think I would buy a vehicle that would carry my gear........just sayin'

9. IPYF

IPYF

This is obviously the most logical response. :rollno:

I'd avoid that Hartke. They're not designed to handle the 1001's rating. If you rubbed it the wrong way one day you could potentially pop it.

Honestly, 485w into a 400w rated cab is not super excessive but you would probably spend most of your time trying to stop it from farting at high volume. Importantly make sure you try the cab if you decide to go for it. It will have a very different sound to your Eden and while I quite like the way a lot of Hartke gear sounds it might not be as nice as the Eden in terms of tone.

I have a 1001 and I run it into a Trace cab which is only rated at 300w so running with an underpowered cab is totally possible. The Trace stands up but I'm essentially bullying it really badly and it does often fart. I fully expect that the consequences will be that eventually I'll tire out or crack my speakers sometime in the next year or so.

10. gzarate85

gzarate85

You'll pop it, too much power. Especially at anything above half throttle. Speaking from experience same amp/cab combo.

11. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I've used that amp with an 8 ohm 410 rated at 300 watts and a 4 ohm 210 rated at 350 without damaging any drivers, so it depends on you expectations and volume needs.

Judicious use of EQ and the volume knobs, along with a little common sense will make your setup last a long time.

12. R Upsomegrub

R Upsomegrub

I run a 1001 RBII into a Schroeder 410L. It's only 16' deep and fit easily enough into the trunk of the old Camry I used to own.

13. rolliefingers

rolliefingers

Thanks for the input.. it's very much appreciated..