GK RBH 410 buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nbtone, Apr 11, 2014.

1. nbtone

nbtone

Disclosures:
    Marketing Exec. Newbasstone, Inc
    I just bought a used Gallien Krueger 410 RBH bass cabinet used, and it makes a buzzing sound from one of the speakers. I sent the speaker out to Orange Co. Speaker to get it re-coned, because I thought the speaker was blown. I got it back and buzz was still there. I sent it back to Orange Co. Speaker, and they re-coned it again. I just tried it, and the buzz is still there. I've looked for loose parts that would rattle in there, but I can't find anything. I upgraded all the wires to 16 gauge, which did nothing. I'm thinking of bypassing the crossover network next, but I figured it would be better to try to get some help first.

2. David Jayne

David Jayne

If the sound appears to be coming from one speaker, it's probably coming from the cab. Like from a loose baffle. Either that or the speaker still has a problem (unlikely).
    If in doubt swap speakers in opposite corners. If the noise doesn't move it's the cab.

3. nbtone

nbtone

Disclosures:
    Thanks, I tried switching two speakers, and the buzzing is coming from the same corner of the cabinet. It must be a loose baffle. Do you have any suggestions on how to repair this cabinet. I'm getting ready to buy some new tweed for covering it if it's repairable.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Very well could be a failed glue joint in that corner of the cab (cab may have been dropped on that side). You can flow some yellow carpenter's glue in those joints and let setup at least 4 hours before rotating the cab to get to other joints. Let gravity flow the glue into the joints. The cab should set for 24 hours after the last joint is flowed. I am assuming you have tried with the grill off to make sure it is not a grill rattle on that corner.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nbtone

nbtone

Disclosures:
    Yes I tried it with the grill off. I'll get to work on it. A few miter screws might do some good, too?

7. nbtone

nbtone

Disclosures:
    I took the whole speaker apart and took the carpet off of the outside of the cabinet. I took out the insulation inside, and there doesn't seem to be any visible damage. The wood might have just dried out or shook apart a little bit. There are two braces that go across the front of the cabinet on the top and bottom of the four speakers that were just stapled in place, and there is a about 1/32 between them and front of the cabinet. I'll try and pour some carpenters glue anywhere I can get it to go and see if that does the job. Do you recommend any specific brand of carpenters glue. Is elmers wood glue good enough?

8. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Good to see your back in the saddle helping out your friends in low places again B!

9. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I have always had good results with Elmer's.

Thank you friend. :D
    That can change any day now, but hopefully any break will be short lived. :)

10. nbtone

nbtone

Disclosures:
    Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens.

B-string likes this.
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

If the glue does not help try some right angle braces.
    They are used to secure a squeeky floor.
    They screw in on two planes.

12. nbtone

nbtone

Disclosures:
    I'll look into it. That might work better than miter screws on plywood.

13. nbtone

nbtone

Disclosures:
    I tried the glue, and it worked. All the buzz is gone, .... for now. Now it's time to put on the tweed tolex.

B-string likes this.