GK1001rb ii vs Ashdown Spyder 550

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by IPYF, Mar 23, 2014.

1. IPYF

IPYF

I'm in the process of downsizing my amp rig due to numerous factors. I recently hurt myself and I also live upstairs so my old 4x10 is now way too big for me and my little car to handle.

Fortuitously I've managed to get a gig with a much quieter band than my old one. It's a 50s/60s act which plays really quietly (sub-earplug level) so I no longer require my rig to be whopping in the slightest.

I've agreed to buy my friend's Ashdown MAG 210t for next to nothing. It's a little cab and perfect for my size needs, but a very dangerous pairing for the GK1001ii I currently own which obviously has far more power on tap than the MAG cab can be expected to cope with.

I've got two options:
    1. Play with the GK and be merry, be super careful not to skewer my cheap cab and walk away with $100 cash after I sell my old 410.
    2. Sell my GK and pick up a much more modestly rated head, such as the Ashdown Spyder 550 which is currently being run out at my local store. End up with a much less capable but safer rig overall, with around $7-800 of profit.

Thoughts?