1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK410NEO vs Fender Bassman610NEO

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 707GK, Sep 22, 2013.

1. 707GK

707GK

I'm leaning towards the Bassman, found one used for a similar price to the GK410NEO brand new.

as you all know probably:
    GK410NEO 800W@8ohms
    Fender 610NEO 800W@4ohms

I'm running a MM Sterling 4HH through a GK Fusion 550, so I have 4ohm & 8ohm capabilities due to the SS power amp (I think).

I need volume, but I don't want to sacrifice too much tone, I'm picky (aren't we all?). Been playing in a rock band that demands more volume than I'm used to and I blew up my GK 410GLX even though it's rated at 400W@8ohms, it was close to 10 years old. I was told by someone who came off a little bit as a "know-it-all" that it was because I wasn't using special GK speaker cables and also that bass speakers just fatigue after a while. He also said it could be because of some of the power-chords I was playing on the higher strings, saying the frequencies battle each other or something along those lines. Dunno if what he was saying was true or not. I've heard bassists play power-chords and other chords a lot more than I do. I think it was because I just tried to turn the amp up about halfway, it was my own fault really.

Been reading a few threads and it seems the more speakers, the more volume. I don't see a downside to the 610 in my situation other than the extra $, anything I am missing in all of the threads I've been reading?
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Can't speak to the Fender NEO cab, never played or heard one. If the cab has better sensitivity it will produce more sound, the tone of the cab is unknown to me.

I use the G-K NEO412 with my Fusion 550 and get any tone I want at louder levels than the guitars and drummer can stand if they piss me off ;)

The 410 GLX was just an entry level cab made for G.C. etal before they brought in their own "Acoustic" imports. Not a pro cab and the cable had absolutely nothing to do with the failure, the power of the 550 DID. :)
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own and have gigged with both of these cabs, and I think highly of them both. Yes, more surface area (more cones) will definitely equal more volume (with all other factors being the same or similar). The Neo 610 is a very loud cab, and it sounds great IME/IMHO. The GK Neo410 is also a great cab, though. Both are voiced fairly deep, and both get a little lean in the mids (though you can dial 'em in). Tone profile is generally in the same range.

One thing to be aware of with the Fender is that it does not have side handles, so it can sometimes be awkward to lug around, solo.

Also, the GK Neo410 would allow you to use the 4-conductor GK cable and the HMS bi-amp option on the Fusion 550. This is a very cool option that I didn't really appreciate until I gigged it, but it lets you push the drivers a bit, while keeping the horn nice and clean.

Both are good options, IME/IMHO. :cool:
  4. 707GK

707GK

Awesome feedback, thank you both. I had a feeling that I was gonna get a good cab with either of these options but didn't think about portability. Been re-thinking the size/lack of handles on the 610 even though it would produce more volume. Leaning towards the GK now, seems it will handle the Fusion just fine. Plus since it is an 8ohm cab I could always fix up my GLX with some better speakers and run both if I really needed any more juice.

Thanks again.
  5. 707GK

707GK

Well I took a leap of faith and just ordered a 410 NEO in the 8ohm option. Figured I could always add another 8ohm 410 if I need more volume. With the 610 4ohm, I wouldn't have had that possibility. Thanks again for all the input!
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good call! Let us know how it works out for you. :cool:
  7. 707GK

707GK

Didn't post an update since I got the cab but it's working out great so far! thanks for the input & those who helped me make the decision. gigged with it a few times and so far, no complaints other than the typical complaint of bass gear always being too boxy and awkward to move around. The light-weight magnets help out with that part though, at least it's not that heavy. Thing has plenty of punch and seems it can handle anything the fusion can kick out, although I haven't turned the gain/master knobs past halfway yet...no need for that kind of volume really. :bassist: