1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK800rb owners, what are you using for rack cases?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bdm, Oct 2, 2012.

1. bdm

bdm

Finding an affordable option in a 3 space rack case that isn't a Gator or SKB is proving surprisingly difficult. Im looking for a traditional flightcase style rack. I found two reasonably priced manufacturers online however I can get neither to return my calls! Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

2. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

I'm using a Pearson 4 space shorty. Removed the rat fur (yecch :spit:), painted it semi-gloss black, looks and works great, not too heavy and it wasn't expensive.

I like having the extra space above the amp for air circulation 'cause those amps can get quite hot when pushed. It that's an issue you can always get a one-space vent panel. Or drop in an effect, tuner, etc.

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'd be looking for a used Road Ready.

I wish i could find rack ears for mine, they are the old style ones.

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Homemade headcase that I cut in on the top back to let the heatsink breath.

+1 to an empty space above and/or little fan to sit in the back of the rack and blow on the heatsink if there is any sort of cover above the cooling fins.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Quickest way to get there would probably be to take your amp and a rack to a local metal shop and let them measure and fabricate you some as the ears are part of the sides of the chassis. All they really amount to is a piece of bent plate with holes drilled in the right spots, which is a fairly simple job for those guys.

7. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I built this for my 1001RB-II out of scrap 1/2" plywood. Took me about an hour or so. The handle was something I had on hand.
    Years later, I added the corner protectors (given to me by a friend) and the aluminum angle (~$9) to dress it up a bit.

[​IMG]

8. bassgod0dmw

You know, I've thought about making them myself on a few occasions...but I never thought about having someone make them for me.

9. RC52

RC52

I have an old style '87 , have you been able to find the side panel rack ears ?

10. bassgod0dmw

11. IPYF

IPYF

First thing I did when I got my GK was to take the handles off the face. Who knows where they've gotten to. I mounted mine in a 4-space WW Rockcase. It's been fantastic.

I'd suggest having the 2 spaces above though if you can for oxygen as GK amps can get super warm in enclosed spaces. My rack unit actually stinks because the heat from the amp has burned the paint off the interior of the unit.

12. bassthumpersf

bassthumpersf

Carvin has a good 4 space case for a decent price.

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have both a 3 and a 5 space old SKB Standard shallow ... its in the 3 space now, but I am not using it .. should it start getting regular use I will put it back in the 5 space ... whats wrong with the SKB's??