Glasstone Lil "g" cabs are back

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Drue Williams, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Drue Williams

Drue Williams Supporting Member

I have been using Glasstone for the last 3 years
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    Steelpulz likes this.
  2. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

It was nice knowing ya Drew. I give this thread 2 hrs before it's shut down.
  3. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

I am tempted to get one.
  4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I didn't know they were gone.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. telecopy

telecopy

Where's the other 12" driver? Is it "isobaric" like the Orange cabs? Those cabs seem to have a lot of controversy about the value of the design. Can someone comment about the Glasstone Lil' G? I have to assume they have high quality construction and components. How is the sound? I'm guessing they're aimed at acoustic bass?
  7. telecopy

telecopy

Also, I like how they nicked the look of the Bag End "Deep Red" series carpeting. I couldn't find that stuff when I searched for it.
  8. Drue Williams

9. Drue Williams

The other woofer is a down firing woofer. Its a electric bass cabinet that competes easily with any 410 cab.
    Its a unique design by Sammie Glass that really works like none other in its class.
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq

No, it is down-firing.

Not specifically.
  11. telecopy

telecopy

Thanks for the answers. I see the Glasstone 2012 has a hidden driver too. Now, is that 12" in the 2x10 cab in its own chamber?
    If not, isn't it unwise to have different drivers sharing the same volume of space?
    Is the 2012 12" driver crossed over to act as a sub-woofer?
    Is the Lil' G down-firing driver out of phase with the front-mounted driver?
    Believe me, I'm not questioning Glasstone.. I'm just trying to learn. As we know, we see so many opinions around here.
  12. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There was a reported case of someone using two. The bottom cab vibrated enough to shake the top one off.

There are several cab designers that would frown on this, as the drivers will react with each other which can effect the impedance curve.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    They work great with acoustic bass but are designed with electric bass in mind. Where are you located, maybe there's one near you.

There are people who've never heard them that have strong opinions on them. Now the quality of construction is being questioned again, again with no experience and apparently no interest in the cabs. Take that for what it's worth. I've been gigging my cabs for a couple of years professionally and they don't move around. They do put out a lot of sound.

An unwise design IME is one that doesn't accomplish its goals. If it sounds great but doesn't conform to how people THINK things should work, the problem is...?

My advice, check one out for yourself then decide. That's the smart thing to do regardless of what you're looking at.

They're offered in several carpet colors and now several tolex colors too.

The 2012 cab is no longer offered. It was superseded by the Lil G. There are a couple of larger cabs, the 2-15 version of the Lil G and the 2-10/1-12 Slap G cab, which isn't just for slap. Both likely as annoying as the Lil G seems to be.
    :D
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    Here's my Slap G, narrower than the 19" rack and came in ~40 lb.

Rack.jpg

Here's my Lil G with Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0. My main "big" rig.
    IMG_20140412_183511.jpg

Here's the purple tolex Lil G I use on Sundays. Along with my Kustom KXB500. This easily replaced an SWR Goliath III 410 cab.

IMG_20140412_120439.jpg

I get nothing but compliments on my sound and the occasional stink eye from the drummer when I'm gone in five minutes. Love the load in/load out with these cabs.
    Steelpulz likes this.