1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Glenn Hughes

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass7755, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

2. Ezbass

Ezbass

Yeah GH has been around the block a few times, Deep Purple, Trapeze, Hughes/Thrall, not a bad résumé . He's been quite prominent in the Bass mags the last few years with his signature bass and more recently the new super expensive Yamahas but all the photos with BCC he's using a good old P bass.
  3. GL797

GL797

he did some incredible stuff with Tony Iommi. Check out this..it's epic. One of my favorite songs of all time. Gives me the chills everytime I hear it.
  4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

5. faivy

faivy Supporting Member

Great player and singer. I really enjoy the BCC stuff.
    He looks pretty good for 58.
  6. Richland123

Richland123

Good stuff. Look at the lineup.

Black Country Communion is an English-American rock supergroup featuring Glenn Hughes, Jason Bonham, Derek Sherinian, and Joe Bonamassa.
  7. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Glenn Hughes is my hero. I worship that guy. Aside from his er, um..."hiatus" for most of the 80s, his output is really consistently good. From Trapeze to Black Country Communion he's just brilliant.

I've had the good fortune to see him live a few times. Plus my old band also opened for Pat Travers in 1990 & Glenn came out & sang "Stevie" with Pat. Amazing.
    And I also interviewed him for a music website I'm involved with a couple of years ago.
    A great guy who can still bring it. Phenomenal singer & really underrated bassist.

And a big +1 on the stuff with Iommi.

Also check out his Soulfully Live From The City Of Angels CD/DVD. Good stuff.
  8. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

The Voice of Rock
  9. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Phenomenal rock bassist. He just knows what to play for the song.

I totally copped his bass line in Young Lust at a gig this past weekend. Think I'm going to make that permanent. Hell, I even copped his screams in the guitar solo.
  10. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I saw him down at the NAMM show a couples years ago...Dude just rocks. I was totally blown away! Subsequently, I went out and bought everything he ever played on. Absolutely great singer and bassist.
  11. Bobbo 77"

Bobbo 77"

Órale!
    Bass7755, don't know if you seen these, but, to one G.H. fan to another, ENJOY!
  12. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Always dug Glenn.
    I saw him with Deep Purple on the "Burn" tour '74
    I went back and got all his eary Trapeze albums. Really good stuff
  13. sspear

sspear Supporting Member

I got to see Trapeze around 1970 at the Overton Park Shell in Memphis. Awesome. I liked Glenn's parts in Black Cloud and Touch My Life.
  14. mellowinman

mellowinman

Trapeze. Coast to Coast. I always did like that one.
  15. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

He's an amazing double threat of singer and bassist. I've been a fan since the Trapeze days and I really dig his recent albums where he is paired with Chad Smith of the Chili Peppers.
  16. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

...ps, he has a book coming out, should be a good read.
  17. the_hook

the_hook

I was doing some reading on Derek Sherinian (check out his Planet X stuff) and learned about BCC. Soon as I heard the opening track with knarly bass tone and the singer's voice I had to find out about this Glenn Hughes guy. Amazing stuff.
  18. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Just an FYI...

He will be the guest musician on an episode or two of the upcoming season of That Metal Show...
  19. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius Supporting Member

He was earlier this year I believe...or do you mean the guy playing the breaks?
  20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I think I wore my copy of "You are the Music..." completely out.