Glock 22 & 23 40 S&W

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chef FourString, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Howdy, TB gun enthusiasts. I'm looking for anyone with personal experience with either the G22 or the G23. I'm looking into making a final decision on my next weapons purchase for my father and myself. I know all about the reliability, accuracy and craftmanship of Glocks, especially of these two models. As well, ask any type of law enforcement agent and they will tell you the Glock 40 is one of, if not the best, personal defense weapon. They'll mostly tell you of the 22 and 23 and perhaps both in C.

I would like a show of hands from you guys and gals in agreement or disagreement on either or of the two pistols. Thanks.
  2. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Both definitely good pistols. I currently have the 22 and a 19 (9mm). I've had a 23 and a 31C (.357 Sig). Kinda like a bass, depends on what you're going for and what feels best in your hands. If you're going for concealment, the full size pistols are not impossible to conceal but the compacts are much easier. With that in mind, some find the grip of the full size much more comfortable than the compact (I don't care for the sub compact models for "feel" reasons - just doesn't fit my hands comfortably).

I'm a fan of the compensated "C" models as well. There is a noticeable reduction in recoil but some complain of interference with night vision because of the exhaust from the ports. I was shy about getting a "C" model because of this initially but found that it did not interfere with my vision at all (and this was on the 31C - quite the flame thrower with the super hot, hand cannon of a .357 Sig round).

Don't discount the 9mm or the .45 ACP versions. Both are a little smoother with less recoil than the .40. I was surprised by the .45 as I expected much more recoil from it than it produced. Remember, it doesn't matter what round you're hurling down range if you can't hit anything with it. But, the .40 is a very good "middle of the road" caliber that I like and can shoot well.

Hope this helps :bassist:
  3. STRINGSLINGER

STRINGSLINGER Supporting Member

4. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

I've always found .40 to be a bit snappy for me. Personally, I'd go with a 19, 21, or 30.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Yeah, still haven't been down to a shop to feel on them. Just doing the paper research for now. I did look into tge 357sig but dad and I decided it would just be too big if concealment were to come up in the future.

I have no problem banging out 40s; they are a bit snappy but I'm a big guy. Do you really think the C models are worth the extra bit? Would you recommend the C models, no matter what?
  7. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Was totally looking at that for a major purchase plus. The conversion kits are only about 300 bucks, too. Super cheap for basically a new gun. :)
  8. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Don't have a problem with 40s. They do snap but I've the wrist control for it. :) But, I will definitely look more at the 30. 19 and 21 aren't as big as I like.
  9. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

No experience with those models but my experience with Glock is: very reliable, adequate accuracy, scab ugly.

If I was going to war I'd take a Glock. I'd only recommend for the well trained and experienced
  10. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

FYI - the 21 is bigger than the 30. :)
  11. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

Are you professional enough to carry a Glock 40?

12. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Thanks, man. Im just getting into the Glock thing. I must have read something wierd along the way. :)
  13. spade2you

spade2you

I have a 24C and am not a huge fan. I don't mind the Glock feel, but hate the triggers. My compensated model tends to want to nose down, which makes it hard for me to shoot because normal pistols tend to kick up and back a bit.
  14. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

The long pull or the actual trigger?

Wow, nose dive? Was that while firing at a steady rate or rapid?
  15. fxdwg

fxdwg

Triggers are an easy fix. lots of after market products out there.. I had a guy come in to my gun store and tell me his Glock went off after he dropped it. My remark was that it was impossible. We went on for a minute or so until his friend admitted it fired while he was upholstering it ...Dumb Ass... Well great choice in fire arm just get some training or practice with it unloaded and safe often..
  16. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

My only issue with Glocks is their DAO design, I like having a hammer to make my trigger pull easier. Otherwise, they're great pistols and I don't know anyone who's ever regretted the purchase. WRT to caliber, .40 S&W is a great choice IMO: plenty of punch but it doesn't punish the shooter much.

Other than that, see if a range around you rents one then take it out and shoot it, see how much pitter patter it brings to you :)

Speaking of range time, I got my .40 cal (Beretta PX4) out today, along with my dad's .357 Mag, my .380, and my nephews got to break in their new .22s :) Good day today.

Peace,
    Greg
  17. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

I own the 22 and its a great gun but I conceal carry my 27. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356739768.372004.jpg
  18. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

It's up to you. .40s are about the same muzzle velocity as a 9mm, around 1000-1150 fps and thus are considered to be a high pressure cartridge, while a .45 may be a heavier round, it moves around 850-900 fps and thus does not have a very percussive recoil, more of a heavier push.

But if I had to choose, I'd take the 23. Fits my hand nice and saves half an inch on the muzzle and grip.
  19. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

I'd recommend them if you're wanting less recoil (which typically translates to a faster reaquisition time). Otherwise, if you don't feel that's a priority and you're back on target easily with a non-compensated model, it's not necessary.
  20. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

For sure. I plan on having the trigger weight lowered to 4.4 lb before they ship it.

I guess making up cover stories for your own stupidity and lack of control with a weapon is probably not the best way to start a friendly conversation in a gun shop. People like that drive me nuts.
  21. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

The 23 is looking better every time I think about it. If not only to have it for concealment. I still need to get one in hand but on paper, the 23 seems everything I'll need and want. But I'm still saving judgment. :)