1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Glockenklang onboard preamp... Who has one?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WarriorJoe7, Oct 12, 2007.

1. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Supporting Member

2. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

I had one in my 55-94 for a while. Clear, very bright and unfortunately tended to sound a little dull as volume was turned down. I put the bart back in.
  3. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Supporting Member

Do you still have it? I want it
  4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

That's what goes in my Dingwall soon-ish if I decide to keep it as active. Having a Glock rig and Tom B's recommendation on the preamp, I have no fear that it will be anything less than stellar.
  5. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

I have two in my Vigier basses. I love them! :)
  6. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

I do Joe but I'm in Australia which is probably a bit tricky??
  7. sei24bass

sei24bass

Me. I have one in my SEI 8 string ERB.

For me if produces the ultra hi-fi type sound, really clear, clean, quiet yet warm sound that never seems to go sterile, cold or muddy (even when the tone controls are tweaked hard). Really lets the sound of your bass through. Highly recommended.
  8. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I have a 2 band waiting to go in one of my basses.
  9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Both the Groove Shoppe 5 and the Sandberg basses use the Glock pre. Pretty nice.... I like that it's quiet and simple. I do not particularly care for the very high treble shelving point (more 'click' control than typical 4K treble boost), and the bass control also seems quite deep. Quite frankly, it reminds me A LOT of the Aguilar OB-3... very hi fi and glassy. If that's what you are looking for, they are great... better in 'soapbar boutiques' than P's or J's IMO and IME.
  10. sei24bass

sei24bass

+1. Whilst I personally think Glockenklang has some of the very best hi-fi type products available, they will not be a magical panacea for all bass players (despite some of the hype that seems to have arisen). All products have a sonic signature (some stronger than others) and there is no real substitute to trying a whole bunch of stuff to find out what you really like.

FWIW there are some similarities between the Aguilar and Glock onboard circuits. However, I personally find the Glock to be quieter, more neutral and hi-fi sounding than the Aguilar OBP3, with a bass control that goes deep and clean rather than thick and powerful on the Aguilar.
  11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

If the preamp section of my heart rock is similar in design to their onboard preamp, a big +1 to this. I was amazed by the HR's capability to boost the bass without being muddy. This was one of the biggest differences when I A/Bed it against my old Eden WT550.
  12. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

I couldn't agree more.
  13. RIM Basses

RIM Basses Custom Basses from the UK

I have three 3 band Glock pres waiting to go into my basses, looking forward to hearing them. Ive used Noll Preamps also and they are great units.

Cheers,

Robbie.

www.rimcustombasses.co.uk
  14. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

I have an old Bogart bass with a Noll and it sounds great but the Glock's low end stays clearer and I do love the 18K shelving. It's very nice indeed.
  15. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

Ive had a glock recently installed on my Yamaha TRB1005J and i love its crystaline tone, but i have noticed its considerably quieter compared to the stock pre (that i really didnt like) and slightly quieter than the stock preamp on my Lakland 44-02. I have been looking around for an onboard gain buffer, and the Bartolini AGDB-918 particularly stands out... but for what its worth... its only a small dip in volume... and with all the headroom i have available... i dont know if its worth purchasing a gain buffer when i can just turn the volume up another notch on my amp or preamp?!!!