gloss/satin nitro questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JIO, Dec 11, 2013.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I sprayed a body with (stewmac) clear gloss nitro. I sprayed a number of coats waiting 1 hr between. Directions on the can of gloss nitro say 24 hrs before level sanding. So far so good - I will wait 24 hrs.

Without posting pics to help explain why I'm doing this, it may be confusing but bare with me. Once this particular project is completed I will post a full thread detailing it but I'd rather not disclose it now. (top secret - I'd have to kill you ;)) Anyway, after 24 hrs, I want to tape/mask off certain areas that I want to leave gloss (no sanding/buffing), level sand the (majority) of the body frt & back and then spray satin, which does not require buffing/polishing. My intent/goal is that the masked-off sections will be gloss and the rest (majority) of the body will be satin.

So here's my questions - The gloss directions say 12-16 days before final sanding and buffing, and the satin sez' 6-8 days before assembly and use of instrument. Can I spray the satin after waiting 24 hrs and level sanding, or do I need to wait 12-16 days before spraying the satin, and another 6-8 days more for full cure? If the gloss cures slower and the satin faster(?), will I run into problems with the gloss curing slower under the satin if I spray satin after 24 hrs/level sanding?

Any insights will be appreciated.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would spray the whole thing with gloss, level sand and wet sand to 3000 grit, then the entire bass will be gloss. Then mask off the bass, leaving only the area that you want glossy exposed, and buff that part out. I would use a wool pad on a drill to do this, making sure that I used the side of the pad spinning away from the tape so it doesn't lift the edge of the tape. So basically I would skip spraying the satin all together.

3. JIO

Disclosures:

Thanks Hopkins, but because of the particulars of the way I'm needing this done, I am going to use the satin nitro. Like I said, hard to illustrate w/o posting pics. Push comes to shove I'll wait 12-16 days (2 weeks), and then spray the satin and wait another 6-8 days (1 week) to assemble. I will post a show and tell by early January.
    Maybe I've answered my own question...:rolleyes:

4. Hopkins

I don't understand the reasoning behind needing to spray the satin finish. The gloss finish will be satin after sanding. I don't doubt your reasoning though, so I guess I will have to wait and see :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CnB77

CnB77

Will the glossy area stay glossy after the tape's on it? Maybe because it's not fully cured pulling the tape off will dull it. I haven't done this with nitro, but I did have a recently shellacked piece get dull after I used some masking tape to protect parts from a screwdriver.

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

if you put a faster drying finish on top of a slower drying finish you may have some problems with cracking or checking, this applies more to fine art painting though

8. JIO

Disclosures:
    Exactly, and decorative painting as well. That's why I'm hesitant to jump the shark. It's specifically how "crackle" finishes are done. I have the luxury of time (no deadline) so I'll wait the clock out. Best in this case to be safe than sorry. You will all enjoy the result - stay tuned! :bassist:

Hopkins - I trust you'll like the result!

... and (CnB77) I don't think the gloss area's will be affected by a short period of being taped-off. Once you see the result, my tact in this case will become clear.

a clue; visit my Gildaxe facebook page...

9. Hopkins

This is just a suggestion for future reference. If you want to spray a nitro finish that part gloss and part satin, go to Sherwin Williams and get a gallon of their semi-gloss water wight lacquer. Take it home and let it sit for a couple of days with out being stirring it and the matting agent will separate from the lacquer. Then you can pour the top half of the gallon into another can leaving you with a half gallon of clear gloss, and a half gallon of satin, that will dry at the exact same speed because they are the same product.