1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

gluten free/wheat intolerance diet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by runmikeyrun, Mar 12, 2014.

1. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

For years I have suffered from terrible gas (quantity and otherwise) fatigue, which was especially bad after a meal) dizziness, and what has become known as "wheat belly" which makes me look like I have a full term baby inside me. I realized I was eating wheat at almost every meal.

I stopped eating meat 14 years ago. It was a decision that made me feel better physically and mentally. A few months ago I gave up wheat due to increasing evidence that it was contributing to my obesity and making me feel crappy.

I couldn't have made a better decision. I feel amazing. I am not tired like I used to be, don't feel dizzy after eating it, and lost 20 lbs in the first month and a half after I gave it up. I also have almost no gas anymore. I feel the best I ever have.

The first thing people say is WHAT THE HECK DO YOU EAT? There are many options now, rice pastas, even the pizza shop down the street has gluten free pizzas. Once in a while I will be in the mood for ravioli or something, so I eat it and then am reminded of how crappy I feel for hours after eating it. That's all the reminder I need to not eat it.

I was just wondering if any other TBers are doing the gluten free thing and how its working for them. Also as a side note, I did reintroduce some meat into my diet just for the heck of it. If I eat meat just one meal, I won't poop for 24 hours, and I usually go 2-3 times a day. I got hemorrhoids from being constipated. No more meat either!

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

I'll slightly modify a quote from my buddy Jules.....my wife's gluten free which pretty much makes me gluten free.

-Mike

3. edpal

edpal Banned

Wife and I are virtually gluten free, mainly because we consider it a junk carb with relatively little nutrition. My oldest daughter is doing gluten free in hopes of reducing her acne. One step-daughter is totaly gluten free to avoid gas and cramps, like the OP.

For folks with a lot of Eurpean ancestry, consider avoiding the New World beans such as Pinto, Navy, Kidney. Old World peas(few true beans in the Old World) cause little gas and are more digestible: green/yellow peas, lentils, chick peas(garbanzos), fava, mung.;)

There are a lot of great choices these days. Try black rice if you haven't, very tasty and cooked faster than brown rice.

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Pseudoscience rules everything around me: P.R.E.A.M.!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

My wife is gluten-free, but I have managed to remain glutenous (is that a word?)
    It's made a huge difference for her.

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

2-3 times a day? Jeepers.

8. Ironbar

Ironbar

My wife has Celiac Disease so we're GF for the most part in our house. I haven't given it up myself because it doesn't affect me at all.

She's been GF for years, and we've tried just about every GF product on the market. One thing I'll turn you on to the we found recently are GF products by Chebe. http://www.chebe.com/

I was in the grocery store the other day and happened upon their GF pizza crust which was on sale. Never having tried their stuff I decided to take a gamble because my wife likes it when I make pizza for her. I could not believe how fantastic this stuff was! I mixed this stuff in a Kitchenaid mixer with the bread dough hook attachment, and it balled up just like regular dough with wheat! It was actually pliable and stretchy, and I bet I could have tossed the stuff in the air if I knew how! It made the best GF pizza we've had to date! Not like local pizza places that serve that GF crust that tastes like cardboard- this tasted like real pizzaria pizza!

9. edpal

edpal Banned

Time for a poll?:D I'm like the OP, 2-3 per day. Some folks are like once every 2-3 days which always sounds painful to me.

10. Gorn Captain

I'd be interested in the results, but a pooping frequency poll would probably be frowned upon by the mods.

11. Brock15

Brock15

I had to adopt a gluten-free diet as the result of some surgery. Google Low-FODMAP diet and you will have many good resources. There is a book Wheat Belly which is worth reading (borrow it from library). It is "doable" and sometimes depending on your bod, you may be able to tolerate some wheat products. As for pizza, you are making me cry here. Thee are gluten-free beers out there but they have a high glycemic index ie you turn them into a dose of sugars. Good Luck with it.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Gluten in itself is not 'bad' for you. Some doctors actually advise against going gluten free unless you have a diagnosed intolerance or are Celiac. Funny how the gluten free trend has exploded and now people have come to believe that it is something harmful and should be avoided by everyone.

-Mike

13. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Dolla dolla bill y'all!

The local hippy market where we do most of our shopping doesn't stock foods with gluten, and I am okay with that so long as it's not advertised on the packaging. As soon as I an made aware that a product is "gluten free" my manchild rage comes out at what I consider a denial of my rights as a consumer.

I had to buy gluten free brownie mix! **** gluten free brownie mix! You just know it won't taste right!:mad:

Author's Note: please consider this cross posted to the "first world problems" thread.

14. Gorn Captain

I find it amusing how many people avoid gluten without having any understand of what gluten is. It's a word they've heard. Gluten-free is popular. Therefore they should avoid gluten. Makes me chuckle. I'm not knocking the diet. It might be great for you..I don't really care. It just seems to me people should know what it is if they're actively going to avoid it.

15. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

I went Vegan fir 2 weeks and loved it. One of the most interesting changes i thought was no gas and my poop didnt stink... at all. I ejded up going off of it and getting readdicted to all the overprocessed garbage. I plan to go back to it soon though.

16. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

I'm eating low carb, which is naturally low gluten..

17. Milk

Milk

2 to 3 to 4 even here. I have IBS. If i dont go for a day i consider this constipation, and i feel bad too (i'll have cramps and such). 2 days i freak the hell out. That never used to happen anyway but in the past two years my intestinal transit has gotten a lot more difficult.

I still think most of the gluten free trend is largely bs aside for people with celiac. Do some people benefit from it? Yes. But it's still a very small %. Many studies showed there was not actual verifiable difference for the majority of people. Even some people who were on a gluten free diet. Gluten intolerance is still a minority. As for gluten being bad for you regardless of intolerance, no conclusive research on that. Not unless carbs is all you eat in which case yes you might if nothing else gain weight. But then the problem isnt really gluten. At this point a lot of people are just convinicing themselves they have a problem and paying more for their food than they should. Especially since you can go gluten free without buying gluten free products....

And for the record, as mentioned, yes, i do have ibs and yes i did try to cut on gluten at some point because i was curious if it would help it, it didn't.

18. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

I'm the opposite. I eat "like a horse". Lots of grains and wheat. I feel horrible and get constipated, etc without it..

I'm not a vegetarian, but I have gone long periods without meat (When I was 13 or so after my dad bailed on us, we couldn't afford any meat for about 6 - 7 months..) No problem.

However, I can not exist with out my grains..

19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

10% of white European types have red bloodcells that bind to the gluten protein. The immune cells attack those cells.

Only a few have the runaway immune reaction that is known as Crohns. The gut experiences irritation which causes the immune cells to attack it also!

The rest of the 10% only suffer a little bit. They have less energy, bad skin, gas, frequent colds, develop allergies to other foods from leaky guts letting undigested food particles into the bloodstream. These allergies need not be spectacularly crippling to debilitate.

When you have 10% of a population getting positive benefit from excluding gluten you got yourself a fad. It's great for us in the 10% to have all the new products, but many are not great for the waistline as they mimic regular junk food.

Read Dr Leo Galland "The Four Pillars of Healing". He is the original medical detective a la TV's Dr House.

20. edpal

edpal Banned

21. Mushroo

Mushroo

Been gluten free for about 4 years, wonderful decision for both physical and mental health. I think that future generations will consider gluten in the same "avoid" category as high-fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, artificial sweeteners, etc.

Personally I avoid foods labeled "gluten free" (pizza, bread, pie, etc.) and just do most of my shopping the in the fruit/veg aisle. I would much rather have a delicious baked potato than a crappy gluten-free bagel. ;)