Gluten Free

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by ChuckCorbisiero, Apr 12, 2014.

1. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

My nephew Godson rugby player Alex Corbisiero talks about Gluten Free Bake products. (check out the name on the shirt.....must be good...hahahaha ....LOL)

2. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

I am a wheat and soy farmer and believe no one should eat my products. Giving up wheat is especially one of the better things you can do for your body.
    ChuckCorbisiero likes this.
  3. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

I had heard about people not tolerating tofu products. Wow. I thought that was a healthy choice. What next?
  4. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vin*tone

vin*tone

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
  8. drumsnbass

For those of you who think going wheat free is bunk, give it up for 3 weeks, then eat a big bowl of pasta. Or half a pizza. See how you feel afterwards..
    Jake deVilliers likes this.
  9. Jake deVilliers

Disclosures:
    +1 Its amazing.
  10. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

I'm convinced that wheat is responsible for my chronic runny nose and the long term intermittent rashes on my elbows and knees. A month wheat-free and I'm breathing more easily and the skin irritations disappear. It's tough to stick to though especially when you're on the road or working long day job hours. My experience is also that the stuff is highly addictive. My longest completely wheat-free run has been about 10 months and I don't think I ever really stopped craving things like sourdough baguettes, al dente pasta with olive oil and fresh basil or a slice of mushroom/feta from Nate's.

And jeez Chuck you weren't kidding when you said Alex is a rugby player. A standout on one of the better international squads in the world right now.....one helluva rugby player in fact.
  11. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

My wife has serious Rheumatoid Arthritis. This is not the "worn out, cranky joints" type of arthritis, but the autoimmune disease that destroys the connective tissue in the body's joints. She does not have celiac disease, but when she eats wheat she hurts more and also feels bloated. After reading about Novak Djokovic and his breakthrough to the top of the elite in tennis, we decided to go completely gluten-free. I lasted a week, and I felt exactly the same, just hungrier. For her it was and is a worthwhile change, as she feels better and has more energy. Some "experts" believe that the stuff sold as wheat these days is essentially nutrient-free and that is has been bred and farmed strictly for maximum output, not for healthy eating. Folks throughout history have done well eating lots of wheat, but I don't think it was the crap our corporate farms are growing nowadays.
  12. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    I sometimes wonder if what is making some of the folks on a gluten-free diet feel better is that they have actually removed a lot of highly-processed and pesticide-laden foods from their diets.
  13. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

Naw, it's the wheat.
  14. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

15. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

I know a little about auto immune decease. In my wife's case it wore down her liver causing the need for a transplant twice. One thing about auto immune is that it can be triggered by allergies or episodes. It's not completely known why. My wife's problems started after she had an acute allergic reaction to bactrim and doxycycline.
  16. Jake deVilliers

Disclosures:
    After 3 weeks gluten-free, my brain returned to a more useful state. My memory is now better than it has been at any time in my life since my mid-thirties.

Cardiac surgeon Dr. William Davis spells it out in his book, "Wheat Belly".

He stumbled on the effects of modern hybridized wheat while seeking an answer for his cardiac patients. A very worthwhile read.

And no, Jeremy, at our house we're very aware of what we eat! My wife makes all our food and grows as much as is possible in our climate.
    Jeremy Darrow likes this.
  17. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    Jake, I wasn't suggesting anyone in particular, and certainly not you specifically. I have seen a number of people go "gluten free" and in the process make other dramatic positive changes in their diets. When they tell me that they feel better, cutting out gluten is given the credit. Even if they also dropped processed foods and added sugar entirely.
    vin*tone likes this.
  18. drumsnbass

This guy can eat or not eat wheat, but I know when I did immediately. My head gets a little foggier and my poops change consistency. Yeah, how you crap says a lot about how you eat.

The best things to give up in life would be any 'fast sugars' including sugar, milk, bread, potatoes, rice, lots of carrots, alcohol, and similar.

Follow that by anything processed. Then most grains, though if you must oats may be okay. Quinua is excellent.

Keep in mind the end goal is stabilizing blood sugars even thru meal periods, and reducing inflammation.
    Jake deVilliers likes this.
  19. Jake deVilliers

Disclosures:
    No problem, Jeremy. It doesn't seem to matter how you come to an understanding of what is/isn't good for you to eat, as long as you get there! ;)
  20. Mushroo

Mushroo

Good thread. I feel like medical science is still in its infancy when it comes to understanding allergies, intolerances, and autoimmune disorders. Good luck with the diet, everyone! :)
  21. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

A world-renowned allergist told my friend that a comprehensive search of medical literature from several centuries ago showed no mention whatsoever of "allergies". This doctor believes that modern day allergies are a result of under-used immune systems. Some people have deliberately given themselves hookworm and other parasites which supposedly relieved various autoimmune symptoms. They believe that we live too cleanly. Not making any endorsements here, just adding something I heard to the conversation...