Gm pentatonic scale

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fender099, Jan 7, 2013.

1. fender099

fender099

Can someone plz tell me the notes to the gm pentatonic scale? Thank you.

2. shwashwa

shwashwa

well, just as there are more than one minor scale, there are more than one minor pentatonic scale, i will give the most common first: G,Bb, C, D, F.
    another very common one, in jazz at least, is: G, A, Bb, D, E.
    i have a feeling that the one you are looking for is the first one

3. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

1 b3 4 5 7

G Bb C D F

4. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

Your 2nd example is 1 2 b3 5 b6, which is a different scale to the common relative minor Gm (relative minor of Bb major )

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shwashwa

shwashwa

look at the notes again
    you're on the right track, but not entirely correct. but you make my point for me, depending on the parent scale, pentatonic scales can vary greatly. these are just 2 (well, now 3 since you introduced a new one) of the many possibilities that exist. thats why i listed the most common one first, which some will argue is not a minor pentatonic scale at all, its just an inversion of a Bb major pentatonic. call it whatever you want, as long as it makes sense to you

7. fender099

fender099

Thanks you really helped me.

8. shwashwa

shwashwa

i hope you won a bet or something!

9. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Careful - the b6 of G would be Eb!

The second example is certainly less widely used, but it would be appropriate for a pentatonic taken from a melodic minor scale* or dorian mode.

*Ascending form, at least: conventionally the descending form is the natural minor (aeolian mode) so you'd probably use Eb on the way down in place of E-natural!

10. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

Oops, sorry... Correct.

11. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

Think of it this way. Every normal Pentatonic scale will fit exactly over a diatonic scale.

The first major Pentatonic fits over the Major (Ionian) scale. It is missing the 4th and the 7th tone of the Major scale, everything else is the same.

The next mode of a Pentatonic is Minor and fits over the Dorian Scale, this time it is missing the 3rd and 6th of the Dorian.

The next mode is also minor and fits over the Phrygian scale, this time missing the 2nd and the 5th of the Phrygian.

The mode over the Lydian is non-existant because Lydian is the 4th mode in diatonic scales and there is no 4 in the Pentatonic.

The next mode fits over Mixolydian and is missing the 3rd and the 7th tone of the Mixolydian.

The next mode fits over the Natural Minor (Aeolian) it is missing the 2nd and the 6th tone.

See the pattern?

Here is a link to the 5 modes of the Pentatonic with the diatonic names by them.

http://recoveryshare.com/filechute/5-pentatonic-positions.html

Kirk

12. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

Of course if you wanted to, you could mix and match modes and still be in the diatonic key.

Pentatonic #1 could be played over these scales: Major, Lydian, Mixolydian
    Pentatonic #2 could be played over these scales: Dorian, Mixolydian
    Pentatonic #3 could be played over these scales: Phrygian, Locrian, Aeolian
    Pentatonic #4 could be played over these scales: Mixolydian, Major
    Pentatonic #5 could be played over these scales: Aeolian, Phrygian

13. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

I'm not being picky, but better if you ask "What are the notes for the Minor Pentatonic scale in the key of G?". Much less confusion that way.

14. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Or, just ask for the degrees that make up the minor pentatonic scale (1 b3, 4, 5, b7), and figure out the notes yourself. That way you can apply the same degrees to any key centre, rather than just knowing the notes in G.

15. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

To be honest, if you ask most guitarists what the G Minor Pentatonic scale is, you'd probably just get the one answer. It's only normally bassists who are this pedantic!

16. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

I love it when theory questions are asked... I learn so much... There are always new ways of looking at how it all fits (or doesn't fit) together...

17. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

I wasn't being pedantic, and if look at how the OP wrote his question, it doesn't make sense. He wrote - gm pentatonic scale (not "G Minor pentatonic scale"). As there's no such thing as a "gm pentatonic scale, people have to guess at what he means. Minor Pentatonic scale in G is the way he should have phrased the question: aren't people here to learn? BTW, I'm a guitarist, and trust me, we can be very pernickety indeed. ;)

18. shwashwa

shwashwa

your way is very confusing to me.... if you ask what is the minor pentatonic scale in G one would automatically assume (or should assume) E minor pentatonic. because that is the relative minor scale in G. in the key of G there is no g minor pentatonic scale, it doesnt exist. now if you were to say what is the minor pentatonic scale in the key of G minor, well then that would be different, but when you say in G, that implies G major. Capital G with no further specificity implies major on chord charts, lower case g and lower case m (gm) implies minor (in some very common chordal notation). i have played in many groups where on the same chart you will see GM7 and gm7 and they mean 2 totally different things.
    i think the way the origional poster asked was just fine and very specific, not ambigious like your way: what is the G minor pentatonic scale (gm= g minor, this is common)? very specific. another way he could have asked is what is a minor pentatonic scale built off of the root note G? but in G, there certainly is no g minor pentatonic.

19. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

What on earth are you talking about?

20. shwashwa

shwashwa

when you said the op should ask what the minor pentatonic scale is in G. when you phrase it like that and capitalize the G and dont write anthing else after, you are saying, what is the minor pentatonic scale in the key of G major? the answer is E minor pentatonic. if you were to say, what is the minor pentatonic scale built off the root note G then that would we a different question. its a matter of semantics, and in music theory and analysis, semantic matter. "In G" means in the key of G major. the only reason im pointing this out is because you said that your way of asking the question was more clear, when in fact it is more confusing if you know theory. the origional poster wanted to know the gm pentatonic scale and he asked the question in a perfectly clear way. if we were to phrase it like you did, then we would have gotten a different answer all together. see how confusing it is? by the way, is there a G minor pentatonic scale contained in the key of G major?

edit: it is commonly accepted that if we see a chord symbol G, then that is a G major triad, if we see g, that is a g minor triad. simillarly, GM means major, and gm means minor. this is just one system, and i personally dont use that system because of the confusion that it creates, i have however played with many composers who do use it, so you need to know it. i personally use G maj, or g min. or i use the little triangle for major and a minus sign for minor. im a huge fan of keeping it simple so my music can be played without confusion

21. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

You're confusing scales with keys. A "G minor pentatonic scale" is the same scale, no matter what key you're playing it in. Playing an E minor pentatonic scale in the key of G (as you suggested), would in fact be a major pentatonic scale (close enough), but it would a G Major pentatonic scale (since you insist on phrasing this way). The OP asked for the notes of a scale, the key is irrelevant.