1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Go sign White House petition to double NASA budget

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bkbirge, Dec 12, 2013.

1. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    If you like space exploration go sign this petition...
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/double-nasas-budget-05-1-federal-budget/B40WbThr

Double NASA's budget from 0.5% to 1% of the Federal Budget.

NASA's budget is currently approximately 1/2 of 1 percent of the federal budget.

To put this in perspective, the current IRS administrative budget is equivalent (and with the latest proposed increase would be more than NASA). The DOD's ICBM maintenance program has an equivalent budget.

Various studies have shown that for every dollar spent on NASA the economy gets a massive return, some studies quote 5 to 7 fold.

Let's put our priorities as a country on the future. Education, exploration, research, technology.

Please sign the petition if you'd agree that NASA's budget should be increased to at least 1% of the federal budget.

As a country we can do better at prioritizing our future. Make the promises of science and engineering achievable by giving NASA the budget it needs.

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Meh. While I do want to see NASA's budget expand, I don't want to see the NSA's database expand with my email address.

3. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    They've already got it so what are you waiting for, go sign it!

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

In about five billion years, the sun will explode. It's going to happen. On the off chance that we, or whatever we evolve into are still around, we'd better get a move on and get to another solar system if we want to survive.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

I'm in! They need money to build the space elevator!

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

So maybe they could tell me my login information too. :p

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

i'd rather give my money to SETI. :D

9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I may be wrong but I think NASA and the NSA are two different agencies.

10. BawanaRik

I can recall the pride I felt when we landed on the moon.

And it was a we. Working together towards a positive goal. Not only creating a better world through technology but providing a guiding light to the world that people can accomplish things this big.

We're going to need Mars soon.

11. Gorn Captain

I think a big part of the problem is the misconception that there are no short term benefits from exploring space. The longterm benefits are important, but a lot of scientific innovations are the result of the space program.

12. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Very true. There's a big mentality of "but what have you done for ME" applied when people look at NASA and they don't understand the answer is "a lot".

Artificial Heart - The technology used in space shuttle fuel pumps led to the development of a miniaturized ventricular assist pump by NASA and renowned heart surgeon Dr. Michael DeBakey.

Frankly, NASA hasn't been very good about really connecting with the public outside of the Apollo era hooplah.

This is a good site to learn more...
    http://spinoff.nasa.gov/

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Signatures needed to reach goal: 99,999. Total signatures on this petition: 1.

Really? Only one person has signed it?

-Mike

14. Gorn Captain

15. Gorn Captain

Blocked on my work computer for one stupid reason or another and my phone browser is sloooow. I'll sign when I get home.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

I signed it, but it still shows as one signature. Maybe like the healthcare website, this one is broken too.

-Mike

17. bassinplace

bassinplace

You honestly think we're still gonna be around by then? Somebody thinks highly of his species, doesn't he? :smug: :p ;)

18. Gorn Captain

I'm not hopeful, but it would be cool. I'm a sci fi nerd so I've seen fictional interpretations of what we might be like when the sun explodes. It's doubtful, but we may be incorporeal balls of light by then. Who knows.

19. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Indeed.

20. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

I put this on the same list with about a billion other things that would be nice to do, but we simply do. Not. Have. The. Money.

Not having the money is a concept lost on most. Everyone thinks we can just print more and keep right on spending. But at some point it will come to a head. Something has to be cut. Hell, EVERYTHING has to be cut. Mars can wait.

21. BawanaRik

You may be surprised to learn that many scientist don't relate well to the others.

And I suspect this is especially true with big picture heavy hitters attempting to get us out of the Solar System and into real space.

The Final Frontier.