Godin A4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wallawallabob, Mar 30, 2014.

1. wallawallabob

wallawallabob

Media:
    Greetings, all! I'm a standup player but I have recently been playing a fretless Rob Allen MB2 bass guitar, and I like it a lot. However, I'm playing a friends' instrument and I want to get something similar - without the pricetag - before I ding his!

I have found a Godin A4 at a good price ($600 including freight) and I'm wondering if that would be a reasonable facsimile, since I can't actually play it.

What say you, fretless players?
  2. lz4005

lz4005

It should be close probably. I have an A4 and I love it.
    It's a great sounding bass. Full acoustic top, good electronics, good balance.
  3. wallawallabob

wallawallabob

Media:
    I think I'm going to jump on it...
  4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

$600 sounds like a pretty good price. While I have never had the opportunity to play a Rob Allen bass, I have an A4 and it sounds pretty darn good. I gets a huge upright like sound and is fun to play. Now if I could only play it in tune…
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I have the A5 fretless and it has a great neck. It gets much closer to the upright sound than my other electric bass guitars.

[​IMG]
  7. wallawallabob

wallawallabob

Media:
  8. wallawallabob

wallawallabob

Media:
    Well I received the A4 3 weeks ago - it was pretty much unplayable without significant truss rod adjusting, replaced the DR "Blackies" with some LaBella tape wound flats, and she sounds GREAT!
  9. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote Supporting Member

Just bought an earlier model Godin A5 fretless in excellent condition this morning. ($675) I should have it by the weekend. Since I already have a Godin SD-5, I'm hoping to set them up very similar, probably with TI Jazz Flats or possibly an old set of Acousticores.

Also, like the OP, I'm primarily an UB player, but really enjoy being able to double on BG.

Though they don't get a lotta love at resale time, Godin consistently makes *very* nice quality instruments, not quite rising to the quality of custom/boutique basses (like the OP's friends' Rob Allen, or my Rick Turner basses) but they are nonetheless outstanding value, and great player instruments.
  10. kevteop

kevteop

Godin originally released this model as the 'Acoustibass' in 1994, although it's been refined a bit since. I managed to buy the instrument that had done the rounds of the music shows for quite a big discount at a shop in Denmark Street, even though the finish was still flawless and it must have been considered to be a good example to end up at the trade shows.

I recorded with it quite a lot and it sounded massive. I never put flats on it but I imagine it would sound amazing, and with some sponge under the strings it would approximate a DB sound quite nicely (but not the feel of a DB of course). It had a massive acoustic sound to it.

They are seriously underrated basses. Don't assume because they aren't expensive they aren't valuable. Godin make some very good kit.
  11. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    I owned one and they are wonderful. Great upright simulation . Very woody sounding bass
  12. jfh2424

jfh2424

I dig my A4 too. One thing that I will say is that it is not always evident to EQ the thing. Like an upright, it can easily get lost in the mix, in my opinion.

Take care!

John
  13. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

I had a fretted A4SA (synth access), miss it! I was also able to use the hexaphonic output with my Roland GR-20 which added a WHOLE lot
    of interesting and challenging options. The newer "ULTRA" models with Mag/Piezo are very unique.

The build quality was excellent; good woods, top-notch electronics, real tight.
    Godins are a great value for the $$; they may not be on a pedestal like RA's are (deservedly) but they are 1st class instruments.
  14. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I consider my A5 to be totally unique to anything I've played in it's thumpy DB sound. Once I played it, I had to have it! I've got black tape wounds on it. Plays silky smooth & always seems to turn things around for me when I get in a rut by giving me something different to give me a new perspective on what I'm playing. When I had my church gig I always brought it along with a fretted, because it allowed me to really change things up on those slower tunes.
    circuito likes this.
  15. circuito

circuito

Have you also these irregularities on the top and binding of your Godin?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  16. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Top, yes, bindings, no.
  17. circuito

circuito

Can you post a photo of your Godin's top at the same point? I'm a little worried because i hear these irregularities under my fingertyps.
  18. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Mine A4 fretless has a flaw in the binding that I thought was damage, but actually appears to come from the factory. Anyway, I love it! I've been using it in a jazz setting with a guitarist on nylon string. Big sound, and lots of variation between upright and something more punchy. I have a set of Labella tape wounds to put on it sometime this week, and they should be an improvement over the current TI flats.

I played a Rob Allen Deep bass recently. Wow... what an effortless instrument to play. Feels so good. But... $$$.
  19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

For the money Godin is a great value.
    Well built and sounds great.
  20. circuito

circuito

Attached Files:

21. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote Supporting Member

@ circuito-

My A5 fretless has similar, though less pronounced irregularities in the top. I just assume they are the incidental result of top bracing under tension, in combination with changing humidity conditions.

Looks like the binding on yours just popped loose... nothing a competent luthier couldn't address with some glue.