1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Godin Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoNoise, Aug 29, 2007.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise

Well, I never thought I'd be the one to start something like this, but that was before I found a bass that I really "clicked" with. I traded a 4 string fretless a couple months ago for a Godin BG-5, my first 5 string bass.

I had played 5 string basses before, but I never owned one. I was afraid to take the leap to a 5 string due to worries about the larger neck/fretboard that I would have to wrap my hand around comfortably and quickly, when playing. However, the BG-5 made the transition easy.

The strings are close enough together to make the transition very easy for me. Plus, the 34" scale length combined with the strings being closer fits perfectly with my style of playing. I can move quickly between strings playing finger-style and play chords very easily.

I was hesitant to get a 34" scale length 5 string for worry of a bad B, but I have not been disappointed at all with the B string on the BG-5. I am going to be experimenting with different strings, but even the old strings that were already on there sounded great. I can't wait to hear what fresh ones sound like.

The woods are top quality with the maple body showing through a great burst, and the birdseye maple on the back of the neck is beautiful. I realized a while back that I do not like maple fretboards, so the rosewood on the BG-5 works wonderfully.

The electronics are all Seymour Duncan, and I have Basslines currently installed in the BG-5 I traded for. And as small as it may seem, I love having a 9V battery compartment that allows me to change the battery without using a screwdriver.

The sound is perfect. It's bassy but has enough mids and growl to cut through the mix of a very loud guitarist with tons of effects and a loud, crazy drummer. This thing can punch!

All in all, the quality of these instruments is amazing for a $1200 bass, especially because you can get on for $500-600 now that they are discontinued. They are made in Canada, not Asia, and that is very nice. I'm very surprised Godin isn't a bigger name out there.

So, I like my BG-5 so much that I just bought another one! I am going to be doing some work on both of the basses, putting Nordstrand pickups in one of the basses with an ACG preamp, and dual 5 string Dark Stars (when they are released) and an Aguilar OPB-3 in the other bass. I will also be putting silver hardware on the lighter burst bass.

I will take better pictures when I can of both the basses together, but these are going to be my main basses for a while, for my main band.

So, if you have a Godin and love it, post a pic and anything you want to say about it. I'll be posting more info on mine as I upgrade them. And an A5 may be on the way in the following months... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. roadkill2309

roadkill2309 Supporting Member

Alright, I'll be number 2...

EDIT:
    Whups! forgot the pics! Here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. fresnorich

fresnorich

Here's my newly torted Acoustibass:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great upright-like sound, top-notch quality, extremely playable neck, under 8lbs. - what's not to like?

4. roadkill2309

roadkill2309 Supporting Member

Do we PM you for our numbers, or do I just start calling myself #2?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NoNoise

NoNoise

roadkill2309: Ha ha. I figure going by the order of posting works. :)

fresnorich: That is one amazing looking bass. Nice tort control plate!

7. cavemusic

cavemusic

Here's my 1997 Godin BG-V in cinnamon. It's a solid body, with great sounding EMG pickups. I like this bass a lot - I even bought a second identical one on ebay. I've always been surprised that there aren't more people playing these. Unfortunately Godin doesn't make this model anymore, which may have something to do with it.

Found some specs here.

[​IMG]

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I no longer own it, but sold it to my best friend.

Gone but not forgotten, my Godin A4 fretless:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Played and sounded like a poor man's Rob Allen. Great woody uprightish tone, and very comfortable to play.

9. 22pauld22

22pauld22

How sad that there are so few proud godin owners out there .. I have a bg5 thats almost exactly the same as cavemusics .. except mine has emgs 3 band eq with sweepable mids .. sadly although I do love my godin I don't love the 40cs at bridge and 40p5 at the mid place (you might call it neck ?)

I'm in the throws of changing the electrics in mine .. I'd love to hear of anyones pickup changes etc ..

oh and I'm always with an eye open for an a5 .. I'd love a double bass again but seriously in a flat you can't practice with it so whats the use .. even living in a house I'd get complaints from the next door neighbours ..

have a good one
    Paul

10. winston

winston

I had (and recently sold) a Godin SD-4 with passive P-J pickups. With TI Jazz Flats strung through the body, it was one of the best-sounding basses I've ever heard. I own an F-Bass and a couple of Pedullas; I've had a Stambaugh, an Alembic, a StingRay and a couple of Peavey Cirruses--the Godin kept right up. Deep but clear, with great detail and dynamic response-especially in the mids. Sounded wonderful slapped, plucked or picked.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the long reach to the lower frets due to the single-cutaway design. I sold it to friend of mine who's really into reggae.

I really like the Acoustibass and A4/A5 fretless basses. A local store has some Freeways I should check out, and I'm thinking of picking up a Godin electric guitar. The entire Godin family of instruments represents a great value--I had a nice Seagull dreadnought acoustic, and I really dig my solid-top Art & Lutherie parlor guitar.

11. Sabu

Sabu

Please include me in the Godin Club! I have had a BGIV for 3 years now. It took a while to get used to the hi-tech EMG pickups but I can now appreciate the quality of my bass. I'll try to get a pic up soon but for now you can hear it at:

http://www.myspace.com/bangtheory

...it's through a Yorkville XM200 and played by me, so it's pretty close to a 100% "Canadian" bass sound :D

I also had an Art & Lutherie acoustic guitar about 10 years ago, and I remember it as being a fine-sounding instrument, especially considering the $200 I paid for it. Godin rocks!:bassist:

OK, time to go practise now (on the Godin, of course...)

12. James_B

James_B

Great bass' I had one for a few month but sold it because the neck was to thin for my liking.

13. NoNoise

NoNoise

Sweet! Welcome all! I am still in the process of upgrading my Godin's. Here is scoop:

I haven't ordered new Nordstrand pickups yet for my one bass. I am putting a new bridge and tuners on it first. The basses are set up at 16.25mm string spacing, but I am changing them to 17mm for a couple reasons. Anyway, Brian from BestBassGear.com told me that Nordstrand doesn't make pickups for 17mm string spacing from the factory. I have to special order them. So, once I get the bridge installed, I will measure the string spacing over each pickup just to make sure the pole pieces are as lined up as possible to the strings. The thing that stinks, though, is that it takes 3 months to get the pickups. I will then order the AGC preamp to go with it. For my other BG-5, I will buy a new 17mm string spacing bridge for it as well, but I'm waiting for the 5-string Dark Star pickups to be released later this year. Those will only be made at 17mm or 19mm string spacing. Then I will get an OBP preamp for that bass with a passive/active switch.

I will keep this thread updated. :)

14. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I have a godin guitar, can I join?
    [​IMG]

I must say that godin makes some of the most fantastic instruments out there today. Their lines of acoustic guitars are beyond belief. The art & lutherie ones go for $200 but sound and play better than most $1000 acoustics. The simon & patrick acoustics sell for around $500-600 and I have only played on better acoustic ever and that is a vintage guild that is worth over $4000. Fantastic stuff.

lowsound

15. NoNoise

NoNoise

Sure! Unlike some others on this forum, I'm not prejudice against guitarists...I started out as one, after all...:smug:

And it just so happens that I need guitarists to make the music I want to make.

Thanks for your input. We're going to start a Godin revival!!! :p

16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Same here!

[​IMG]

17. jgregpegleg

jgregpegleg

This is from the first time I ever played this bass out and the previous band's tuba fell bell side first onto the top of the bass, in the middle between the strings leaving a nasty dent. This is the only pic I have of my Godin A4 fretless currently. Please count me in this club as I love my Godin.
    [​IMG]

18. winston

winston

Godin guit@r owners--how do you like the tremolo bridges? I'm more of a hard-tail guy myself, but I've seen a few used trem-equipped Godin guits for very good prices. How's tuning stability/string warble when you dig in?

19. jgregpegleg

jgregpegleg

I love my fretless A4, but it has it's quirks. I am curious if others have experienced what I have:
    1. 2nd and 3rd fret position across all strings has some distortion, not neck buzz.
    2. I bought mine used, but had to replace the preamp due to distortion.
    3. battery housing on back became loose, where the battery sets and the terminals touch, creating pops as the bass touched my body. I had to bend the case to properly connect.
    4. Having issues with loud hum in most cases. I have to yet to troubleshoot this. I can touch my cord and it grounds out. I have had to play with an old guitar string around my cord jack and the string in my mouth to ground it out. Eventually just used a backup bass and the problem, at the same venue, with the same gear, stopped immmediately.

20. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Hi:

I have two Godin BG-IV, this one pictured
    (with Fred Hammon Dark Star DS3) pickups
    and a Noll two band preamp, and a black
    stock BG-IV with EMGs.

Love em both, for different reasons. The EMG
    Godin gives me the best lounge room sound out of my
    SWR Baby Blue with LDS long throw 8's, while
    the Dark Star equipped unit sounds great turned
    up through my bigger amp setups

I also have a Sadowsky Standard Jazz 4 and
    an Alembic Rogue, and they mostly sit in their
    cases (the latter for recording only, the Sadowsky
    for big stage gigs). The Godin's sound great, have
    that nice P-bass neck width, and if they get thrashed
    I can always buy another <grin>

Phil Anderson

Attached Files:

21. saxofunk

saxofunk

For that matter, maybe it should be a Godin/LaSiDo brands thread... then I can post my Seagull acousticy geetar.