Going Direct with Zoom B3, Sansamp or M80?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by markbmbass, Dec 12, 2012.

1. markbmbass

markbmbass

Hi Guys,

Quick question. I have the Zoom B3, and use it for some settings and distortion when I gig. However, I have also been looking to add a good DI solution to shape my tone. I have a Mark Bass Little Tube 800, but it seems that my tone at FOH is different than what my amp produces on stage, when the sound guy has me going direct.

Should I continue to go direct (Mark Bass Head has an XLR/Direct Output for FOH), or should I just bypass my amp, and use the Zoom, Sansamp or M80 as my amp modeling and maybe use my 15" Sub as a monitor?

I'm not very well versed in live sound yet, but I need a solution that is going to give the same tone at FOH that I have on stage.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    If your sending FOH a pre eq signal off your amps DI then the problem is the sound guy.

I do this. I tell the sound guy to set his EQ flat and I send him the EQed signal off my pre. He will have to set the gain on your channel so you're not peaking it, but if you've got a REASONABLE eq setting it should translate fairly well to the FOH mix.

Keep in mind there are a lot of factors in to the rooms sound. So it's not perfect, but it's a good place to start.

(expect the sound guy to complain. They think they know everything and EQ the bass low freq heavy and cut high mids and highs. Have him try it.)

3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Forgot to mention, You've got a really nice DI in you amp.

4. markbmbass

markbmbass

Ok, so if I understand properly, then I set the eq on my amp, then tell him to set his flat, correct?

Also, the zoom has a pretty good model of the Sansamp that I like to use at rehearsals, and at home. So, if I want to incorporate that in to my stage tone, will it also translate at FOH? FYI, my order goes, Bass to Zoom input, then zoom out to amp input. Is that the correct way to do it so that the sound goes to FOH the same as it is on stage?

I'm sorry if I sound so ignorant here, but I am very new to live sound, etc.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    You got it. I have them bypass thier compressor also because I'm already doing this.

Keep in mind a simpler EQ will sound better at a distance. Mine is almost flat, I boost 2 freqs. to give the E and B a little girth.

It takes a bass wave about 15 - 20 feet to develope. If you stand directly in front of your amp and eq so that it sounds good to you, it'll probably be really bass heavy 30 feet away.

Some rooms are bass vaccums others are boomy. Assuming the room is propery tuned the FOH EQ flat should sound good. If not you may have to adjust accordingly.

I always play with a wireless. Durring sound check I'll walk around the house a bit and check. I've pissed off a couple of sound guys in my time, you're invading their territory after all, but I check their settings and ask them to change things. After all, it's your show.

Only one time, in 22 years of pro playing, have I had to pull the "Look. I'm the artist. your job is to give me what I want" card. Be careful with this one.