Going for the look and the sound. Black coated strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I dont know all the black coated strings that are offered. But one that looks appealing is the Rotosound Nexus. Only problem I have is that they are Type 52. I do have experience with Rotosound quality. But not with Type 52 so im worried what kind of sound I will get.

Im basically looking for a D'Addario Nickel XL with a black coating that will last as long as the string.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Alloy 52 is a nickel iron alloy. Nickel Iron alloy is used on a lot of different kinds of strings and generally lasts longer than NPS or Stainless as it does not corrode like NPS or Stainless. Tonally its between NPS and Stainless and in many cases hotter output (more magnetic).

If you want a string that is like a D'Addario XL Nickel w/ a black coating you want to look at a Nickel Plated Steel string with a Black Coating.

DR Black Beauties for example are a Nickel Plated Steel string with a Black Coating but those strings are Round Core so will feel totally different than playing D'Addario's flexibility wise...

3. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Thanks Jason.

I see what you're saying because I haven't been able to find what I am looking for.

But with a little sacrifice would the DR's be the closest string to what I want? Would they be more deep or more bright then an XL?

4. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

Do you mean coated or nylon tapewound? Big difference there. D'Addario Nylon Tapewound strings are essentially XL light gauge strings underneath. IMO they sound great on a P--they give you the best of flats and rounds, but that said I found them to be not quite bright enough for a power-pop or punk type sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

DR Black Beauties is about it.

7. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

No just coated.