1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Going from a combo amp to a head/cabinet setup...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Berner96, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Berner96

Berner96

I'm considering purchasing the GK MB800 and pairing it with one GK Neo 2x12. This will be my first non-combo bass amp and I'm completely confused by the watts and ohms and what makes a good pairing with a head and a cabinet. I've done some reading on the various forums but this is a big investment and I don't want to buy equipment that's not compatible. I play in a country band that gigs at small to medium size venues with the occasional large joint. I'm looking for an amp with some flexibility. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. remainthesame

remainthesame

theres plenty of threads where you can find out about ohms and such. but basically its kind of like this (in no expert but i know how it works in common usage)

for example. my head cranks out 300 watts at 8 ohms. but it will do 500 at 4 ohms. so i can either use a 4 ohm cabinet. or two 8 ohm cabinets. or even just one 8 ohm cabinet. because 8+8=4 in the ohms world. 4+4=2 etc.

3. remainthesame

remainthesame

i looked up the specs of your head and cab. you can hook up to two of your 2x12s to the head

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

If you get the MB800 you should pair it with an 8 Ohm 212.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yes, the MB800 and an 8 ohm 2x12 is a great rig, which leaves room to add a 2nd 2x12 later, should you require an insane amount of volume. Don't get fooled into the whole "get all the watts from my amp" biz, as watts do not equate to volume.