Going from fretless back to fretted....wow!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kopio, Feb 10, 2014.

1. kopio

kopio

Hey Guys,

Just an observation from this weekend.... I play bass in a church worship band. About 9 months ago I got a Squier VM fretless with passive EMG's....it's a great sounding bass and I love it. Once I got it, I was finally able to get my fretted worked on...it had some wiring issues.

So...I got my fretted back this Sunday before we played and I decided to play it instead of my fretless. I was absolutley amazed at how much better of a fretted player I was!

So...is it just me, or does playing fretless really improve your fretted playing?

It was pretty cool....I was all over the neck, blasting double stops all over the place and it was all effortless! Our worship leader even said....I love that bass!

I was just curious if anyone else has had this type of experience.
  2. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

I just did the same thing last week. It seems much easier to just groove. Intonation on fretless is challenging for me. I have to really pay attention to stay in tune.
  3. Red_Label

Red_Label

Agree with all of the posts. I switch back and forth between fretless and fretted basses all of the time. And every time going from fretless back to fretted, I always feel like I climbed-out of an old hooptie car into a Ferrari. Not that my fretless is a "hooptie", cause it's an awesome bass (Sterling Ray 34CA FL with D'Addario black nylon Tapewounds). But after the exacting precision required to stay in-tune, it's always so freeing to get on a fretted bass and just be able to cruise.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nope, very strongly the opposite, although I'm coming at it differently than many people. I started on fretless, and fretted basses have just always felt profoundly wrong to me. I've owned 3 in 40 years, but none stuck around for more than a year or so, or ever felt like my go-to instrument. The fact that the speed bumps slow me down so much probably makes my playing more palatable to a lot of people though...;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kopio

kopio

Interesting stuff....good to know I'm not the only one.
  7. Brother Goose

Brother Goose Fun with a k all day! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    (visitor from Planet Funktron)
    I spent 18 months playing nothing but fretless- after getting mired in the world of graphite and 18 volt emgs (to each their own- just didnt sound like a bass/ more of a sub harmonic typewriter sound)- and found my groove as a result. The real (and endless for me) challenge is playing slow and in tune. I practice all of my material on my fretless (with highish action) and keep my chops/ear/soul engaged. In the studio- i cop versions w both instruments. I'm very thankful that l burned out on high end basses at a relatively young age and had my fretless 4 to make me who l am today.
  8. INTP

INTP

I can relate to this. I practiced mostly fretless for a while and when I moved back to fretted, I could definitely tell that my fingers had gotten used to being more precise.
  9. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

when I go from playing my fretless with my fingers
    which is how I play 99.99% of the time, in a pretty minimalist style

to playing my shortscale fretted with a pick...
    I sound like Geddy Lee and Jack Bruce had a baby and taught it how to play a million notes per minute

I always think "damn I sound like I'm really good" but go back to fretless/fingers by the end of the jam session
  10. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

Totally agree... I forced my self to play fretless exclusively for about a month. I had the best luck playing with my eyes closed :)

But when I went back to fretted and it was night and day, practicing fretless really does make you a better player
  11. Blake Bass

Blake Bass

I switch back and forth between fretted, fretless and upright. I don't think one really helps with the other because I approach each instrument differently, and play different styles of music on each. I will admit that after playing fretless for awhile it is nice to play fretted and not have to worry about intonation!
  12. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

I had a violin placed in my hands when I was very young, and I got quite proficient at it. Playing fretless bass then is not as much of challenge for me (tonality wise) as it is for others. I also find that I can be much more expressive with a fretless

I'll [DEL]never[/DEL] probably never go back to a fretted bass. The frets just don't feel right.

In fact, I have some plans to make a neck for one of my guitars. It will be fretless.
  13. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

I go between both. Mine are both G&L2500. For me fretless is more of a challenge. I play it mostly on praise team when the set is more worshipful. Love the sound of it. It also works very well with blues. Most other types of music call for the freted. I am a faster player with frets