Going from Passive to Active and...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Jan 11, 2014.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...am wondering if any of you bassists changed gear to enhance that active sound?

Right now, I am running through an LH1000 into one or 2 LDS cabinets. One is slightly larger and more mid-range, the smaller cab is surprisingly low & bassy. Using my P-Basses, either or both cabs, delicious Stax & Volt, 60's-70's rock & R & B tone is right there.

Nothing in the signal chain; straight from bass through amp to cabs.

Playing a Big Al 5 SSS now too.

My question is; Have any of you altered either your amp or cabs when switching from passive to active? Or, have you gotten good results with everything amp-wise being the same?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

I don't treat my active basses any different from my passive. I think of 'active' as just another preamp in the chain, just another level of EQ.
  3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Heck, I alternate between active and passive at the gig without changing amp settings. My amp's job is to get the sound of my bass out, and that means the differences in the sound of my basses (e.g Bart MM/J passive with active EQ, EMG P/J Active with passive EQ, P passive with passive EQ, etc.) is WHY I choose this bass. There simply to me isn't an "active" sound. It's the sound of the bass.

John
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yep, what those guys said...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jack

Jack

Pfft, the passive Precision I use is much hotter than the active Stingray. It's never bothered me.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never. If my amps and EMG's didn't get along, I'd ditch the EMG's. Fortunately they get along just fine ;)
  8. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

Both the bass and the amp have knobs. I have never had a problem finding a usable tone no matter what bass and amp.

Jimmy is a perfect example. I have never cared for EMG's but I have always loved an SVT.

I am sure he has an excellent tone. I am also sure he could find an excellent tone with an off the rack passive P bass.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well I did have to pop a different pickup in my 09 Precision ;)
  10. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

well....**** happens...:)
  11. P. Aaron

Thanks everyone. This is new to me and the Big Al does sound fine with a few tweaks but I have yet to play it with others.

I did change the strings on the BA and it really improved the tone. Switched to DR Low Rider Nickels.
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Pretty much the same thing here, although I might use a slightly different approach: I EQ my amp to sound great with whatever passive I'm using that night, then dial in the night's active with it's onboard preamp... That way, my change ups are pretty seamless for the rest of the gig...

- georgestrings
  13. P. Aaron

The rig did very nice with the Big Al at my audition. By the 2nd song the drummer was motioning to the bandleader a thumbs up.

I had lotsa time to wood shed but, these guys a sharp too. First time in years that the talent level & motivation + business end has come together for me.

Hoping for good things here on out.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Sounds like a nice situation and it sounds like they enjoy your playing and your sound. Have fun. :)
  15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Best of luck, bud - I hope it works out for you...

- georgestrings