Going from SS to Tube

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dbase, Jan 10, 2014.

1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

My guitard player just bought a $3000 Mesa Boogie tube rig with 2 12's. I must say I was quite impressed. Enough in fact I would like to replace my Hartke LH500 with a comparable tube bass amp and give it a try because.. Life is short. They say that there is a difference between tube watts and solid state watts. What tube head would you suggest for two Hartke Hydrive 12 cabs.
  2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    If you ask me, it is the wrong reason to look into any different amp.
    Anyhow, looking into full-tubes? I guess the Ampeg SVT is not the worst point to start with if you look into "we need more power" fulltube amps.
    Go further and look into Marshalls VBA400, Ashdown has some new all-tube amps which are worth a look. traynor has some, too.
    Mesa just introduced two (or three) new all-tube heads. Pricey, but if that's your cup of tea, go for it :)

And there's so much more out there. HiWatt comes up - old trace Elliot V/V4/V6/V8 heads. Heck, even Bugera makes full-tube heads
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I say everyone should put their big girl panties on, and track down a Peavey Classic 400... And a hand truck.
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

They would be wrong. Watts are watts

Do you want it to fit on top or does it not matter?

If you do: Mesa Prodigy
    If you don't: Prodigy, Strategy, SVT, Bassman 100T, Super Bassman, V4 if you don't need a ton of clean headroom
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Fender Bassman Pro 100T
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Both Mesa and Ampeg tube amps are worth considering.

Whatever amp you go with, take your Hartke speakers with you to a local retailer and audition them with the amp. Don't limit yourself, try other speakers as well. You could always upgrade the speaker cabinets later but it would allow you to think about what would be best.
  8. eriky4003

eriky4003

Another idea is to try the Tech 21 VT Bass stompbox or DI and see if that turns your crank rather than buying a full tube amp.
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Mesa WalkAbout
  10. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

They say that because, GENERALLY, people don't crank a SS amp past the point where it starts to clip, but people commonly crank tube amps past the point where it starts to clip.

The result is that tube amps of the same power can sound louder because the transient spikes are clipped in a pleasant-sounding (if you like tube distortion) way and the rest of the sound IS actually louder.

Some SS amps are designed with "tube-style" soft clipping and may actually sound good when driven past the onset of clipping. And SOME tube amps may be wired in such a way that driving past the onset of clipping actually produces unpleasant harmonics. But, both of these are exception cases to a somewhat general rule.

Personally, I don't foresee ever needing anything louder than one of my 300W all-tube amps. But then, I like the old school, "classic" rock sound. It would actually be very rare for me to need anything louder than my Traynor YBA-3 (which is all tube and rated at 130W) through my NV610.

Based on what you said, it sounds like you owe it to yourself to try one. In which case, any of the suggestions already given would be a good start. I think the Hydrive cabs are sealed (vs ported) right? That's good. A number of people here on TB, including me, definitely prefer the sound of a tube amp mated to a sealed cab. I never had a sealed cab until I got my Ampeg V4 and then discovered that playing it through a ported cab sounded way too boomy for my tastes - unlike the sound I was getting playing my Class D SS amp through it.
  11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

The peavey vb-2 is a good one to look at.
  12. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Exactly. Plug it into the effects return on your LH500. And don't sell your Hartke because you will still use that one after your guitarist stops helping you lug your all tube amp around.

:)
  13. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Its funny how this SS vs tube debate/inquiries always get derailed to comparing apples to oranges. An op wonders is there is a tone benefit from an all tube power amp section/head and instead of getting back tone comparisons between the two it always goes to "yeah they sound better....BUT man they are heavy!"" I dont recall the op asking if tube heads were heavy or hard to transport. If your all about light weight and ease of transportation then the market is flooded with new micro class D stuff that has high wattage and can virtually be carried around in your pocket and are fine amps but id like these threads to stick to the topic of different comparable tube heads vs people's opinions on why no one in their right mind should get one because they are such a burden to transport.
  14. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

Someone please buy one of these 120 Watt amplifiers and give us a review.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've heard one of the guitar combos, it's fabulous. Mr. Sundholm also builds a rack bass preamp that I'd love to hear.
  16. DogBone

DogBone

It's already been mentioned that "watts are watts", and from a physics perspective it's true.

From a musical perspective, there's about a 1 to 3 ratio tube watts to solid state watts (in my humble opinion and experience blah blah).

Therefore the Dogbone "tube watts" equivalent of a 500 watt solid state amp would be about 166 "tube watts".

Of course whether you only turn your Hartke up to 3 or run it full blast obviously should be taken into account. You may just need to start with a good proven 100 watter like an Ampeg V4B or the seemingly well received Fender 100T and go from there.

The trick, and I'm still learning this stuff myself, is to size your tube head AND cabinet so that you are in that sweet spot goldilocks zone where the preamp tubes (front end) AND power section tubes (back end) are just in that breakup zone...not far enough in the zone will be too clean, too far in the zone will be too distorted. Get too far off either way and you'll be lugging around about 80 pounds of dissapointment.

Finding that sweet spot, which depends on the sound you're after AND the volume you play at, is the trick.

Good luck. :bassist:
  17. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I don't see why you have to change your existing equipment. Jus cuz your guitar player is using a tube amp does not signify that you should too. I would hazard a guess that most of us are working with a tube amp somewhere on stage.
  19. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

He already has hybrid. And a damn fine one at that!
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A lot of people don't know this but I like Ampeg tube stuff like the V4B and SVT ;) The closest in spirit to your Hartke head would be a Fender of some sort, since they both have the Fender tone stack. Some folks like the way they work. I do for guitar, that's for sure. I can use the Fender tone stack and get a sound out of it on bass, but it's harder for me to get it popping than the SVT or V4B because the SVT and B-15 tone stacks have ability to add mids or take away treble and bass.
  21. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966 Supporting Member

I agree. This amp has two channels. One with the passive ' Fender' tone stack (flat= 2-10-2) and the other modern channel that flat is 5-5-5, so lots of ability to manipulate the mids! Also can do 100 watt to 1/4 power 25 watts, which is cool for power tube ' grunt' at lower volume. I really like it with my Hartke Hydrive 410 cab. :hyper:

Marc