Going Local?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gkbass13, Jan 4, 2013.

1. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

So, over the last year or so I've decided to shift my gear purchases to local companies that I feel proud and happy to support. At first it was an American made thing, but then I decided-why not go local enough so that I could make a day trip to any of the shops where my cabs, amps or basses were made?

Is anyone else going local with gear purchases?

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Why three hours?

3. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

To each their own. I work way too hard for my money to limit myself like that. If you think Fodera basses are the best value for your dollar, then it's a happy coincidence you are near them. If you'd rather have a Lakland played through a GK, but don't because they are out of your 3 hour radius, that seems limiting to me. It's your money though, so you definitely should do with it as you please.

4. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    3 Hours? I live in West Texas. I'm 5 hours from Dallas/Ft. Worth. Same for OKC and Albuquerque. 6 to Austin. 8.5 to Houston. 15 hours to Nashville.

See my point?

People in the north east that have never been to the center of the country really don't understand how far things are away from each other.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gkbass13

Not looking for flames. Just thought it was a cool concept. I never said anything about value for the dollar or pricing.

I just wanted to be able to hop in the car and make a day trip to the various shops of companies I support if I were to have a problem, questions, etc... 3 hours just happens to be the amount of time that my personal trip would be for said gear choices. Maybe it is all a coincidence, as I live in the Northeast and happen to be around some great companies and luthiers, but either way.....if anyone else has local stories, I'd love to hear them.

7. gkbass13

I have a full understanding of distance, and how relative all of this is. Was just throwing it out there.

8. SnowCal

SnowCal

Does MIM Fender stuff count as 'local' if you live in San Diego?

9. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I'd like to do that, I just have to find a shop that didn't have a negative attitude.

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I live 22 miles south of Boston and have been playing for over 30 years. I have never found a decent local store anywhere in New England. They all seem to carry the same lower end basses and amps with very little inventory.

11. Green1

Green1

I understand where you are coming from, I like knowing that I can drive to my particular bass maker rather than shipping my bass there

12. roadkill2309

roadkill2309 Supporting Member

Well, I can't do that because the stuff that excites me isn't made close enough, but I agree with the concept of buying as local as possible. If the OP is within 3 hours of Kingston, NY, then there's Mike Tobias, which really *does* excite me, and is inside the 3-hour window *I think.* I'm not exactly swimming in money, though.

13. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Interesting. My version of "local" is to try to do my used gear purchases along the west coast as much as possible. I just passed on a couple of compelling things because it would require transcontinental shipping. I'm not a hybrid-driver but I am sensitive to the carbon footprint and shipping cost that our collective GAS entails! I think it would be cool if TBers would offer their stuff regionally when feasible. My 2 pennies...

14. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours Supporting Member

Just a quick note to let you Know that I Enjoyed this Thread. I Live just down the Road from You and Do Most of my "Shopping" at a Couple of Different Places; Parkway Music in Clifton Park, NY and Downtown Sounds and Birdhouse Music in Northampton, Ma. Also quite Worthy of a Visit is Replay Music in Greenfield Mass. He often has some VERY Cool pieces that show up. :)

15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Cool idea. A good amount of my favorite gear is made within 3 hours from me. Too bad all of the amps I love are made in CA.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I live in the 4th largest city in North America and the only real well known luthier nearby that I would consider buying from is F-Bass. I don't own one though.

All my bass/Amp stuff is from NYC and California except my Indo Squier.