1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Going Solo

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by iwearpumas, Dec 13, 2012.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

He Ant, i trust you are doing well. I know you do a lot of bass playing, teaching, and touring. No doubt you enjoy doing what you do, and playing where you play. Just curious, have you ever considered doing some solo projects and stuff?

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

I own and operate a very high end home studio. Been writing and recording for 30 years. But I never really felt that I needed to be an 'artist'. For me, writing and recording has always been like keeping a diary. I never really felt a need to share my 'diary'. Some people do.

But circumstances change,...

I may put out a record in a year or 2. But it's not a priority for me.

But if I do, it won't be a bass record. Not a fan of bass records. I prefer good music over 'blow me away' playing. And rarely do you get both.

I won't even put a picture of a bass on the cover. You reduce your audience just by doing that. And if I sold a CD to everyone who subscribes to a bass magazine, it would still not be a lot of records sold. Just not a big enough demographic for me. I want non-musicians to but my record. I'd want to put out a record that your aunt would buy.

peace,
    anthony

3. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

That makes sense. I never heard of a solo musician album going platinum.

4. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen Supporting Member

Media:
    My aunt plays a 6 string Ken Smith.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sayman

sayman

Cool Aunt!

7. David A. Davis

David A. Davis

You should really consider an instructional book/DVD series.

8. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

+100000