Going to Buy New Powered PA Mixer --Carvin, Mackie or Yamaha ????

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bunny10, Dec 2, 2008.

1. bunny10

bunny10 Gold Supporting Member

Our band is going to buy a new PA powered mixer. We have narrowed our choices down to a Carvin RX1200 , a Yamaha emx512sc or a Mackie PPM1008.

All have the right power output for us. We are just concerned with sound and reliability issues.

Anybody have any experience with any of these 3 models?

We have heard good things about Carvin but are hesitant due to it being mail order only.

Price is not a big issue with us. But sound and reliabilty is.

Thanks
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

YAMAHA! Haven't used that model, but I've used an EMX5000-12 and EMX5000-20 and they are great.

Great value powered mixers. Rock solid, best bang for the buck. Do it.
  3. Skywalker83

Skywalker83

I'd have to say Mackie. Yamaha make great high end big live digital mixing desks, but for reliabilty, sound, versitilty, im going to say you should go for a Mackie. My old band used a powered Mackie desk for 5 years, and the only reason we sold it was because we racked all out gear, and yes the new desk was a rack mount Mackie mixer! Plus mackie seem to hold their value as well,if you decided to sell it a few years down the line.
  4. modulusman

modulusman

What are you using for speakers?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

I have a Yamaha EMX5000-12. It is incredible. You cant go wrong w/ yamaha. Great high and low pass filters. Excellent to use w/ or w/o subs. Go to the yamaha website and download the manual for the ones you are considering, then you can read up on all the features and how to use them before you buy.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    When listening to people talk about Mackie, ask if they are talking about older gear or newer gear. In the old days Mackie was the bomb, way better quality per dollar than most of the competition, but for the last several years (after being bought by LOUD) their products have become subpar, really no better than Behringer IMO. LOUD totally killed what used to be a great brand.

Carvin stuff is good value per dollar if you're in the USA, but some of their gear has reliability issues. I love their DCM power amps, but I'm not always impressed by their other gear.

Yamaha makes everything from cruddy toys to the finest professional instruments, which means you have to be particular about which models from them you buy, but their middle-to-upper-range gear has a long history of reliability and high quality.

So of the three, my choice would be Yamaha if the model you want is from one of their middle-to-better ranges of gear; Carvin if you have to buy it new, and don't live too far from California; and Mackie if and only if you can find one of their older made-in-the-USA units.
  8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

9. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Done gigging on an earlier version of that Carvin, as well as using a Carvin live mix desk and a couple of their DCM power amps. No problems whatsoever, and though I am long-gone from those bands that equipment is still in use by the owners with no issues.

Because of that a few years back I considered getting the 16-channel powered desk - the one built right into a ROad Warrior Case. Great features, and uses DCM power units... but I ended up getting some more separates.

Also used a lot of Mackie stuff of the older variety, though I found their powered versions lacking in a few features Peavey and Carvin units of the same period had. I do like the older Mackie separates mixers though.

Only been around Yamaha separates but if the feature list suits you I'd say they are probably solid.

Also look at Peavey and Yorkville if you can stand to have your head spin from too much new info ; }
  10. bunny10

JBL 15's for mains and 12's for monitors.

Very satisfied with these.
  11. LowBSix

LowBSix

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Sending PM...
    Yamaha or Mackie....
  12. gcb34

gcb34

I have the Yamaha EMX5000 20 and it kicks ass. I've had it 4 years and not a problem 2 sets of effects which are all useful. Graphic eq. Just a great solid piece of gear. I use JBL JRX125 for my mains. Killer!!
  13. Jehos

Jehos

I have that exact Yamaha and I like it. Running through a couple of Yamaha 15's, planning on picking up a couple 12 monitors to have a nice small-to-medium club package. You can tell it was designed for exactly that purpose--it's got handy features like mutes for channels 1-8 while leaving other stereo inputs live, so you can play background music between sets. The effects are really usable--we pretty much just set a reverb to use for the singer and leave it at that.

I can't really speak to the reliability since I just bought it a couple months ago and it's only been used for practice and one gig so far, but it doesn't feel cheap.
  14. bunny10

Thanks. Good info.
  15. SteveC

SteveC

Yamaha. We gigged - still do - Yamaha powered mixers and they are great. Never had an issue.
  16. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Personally, I'd go with a Peavey XR8600. The one feature it has that the others don't is a straight input to the power amp. Great for running an external mixer/effect/etc ... and just use the portable as a power amp.

None of the portables have enough usable instrument channels to suit me.
  17. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yeah, I'd never buy a mixer with less than 16 channels unless it was to be used only as a sub-mixer.
  18. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

I have a Yamaha EMX-5000-12, and I love it. I could sometimes use more tracks, but I've dealt with this by using a small submixer. The power amps have been fine for small to medium-sized clubs. I have had great luck with durable Yamaha gear through the years.

The two internal effects channels, one of which is foot-switchable, are great. I create some great live dub effects by foot-switching the second effects channel to delays on the vocals. I've gotten some good comments from reggae musicians and aficienados.
  19. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

I have to say Carvin
  20. bunny10

We have been trying out various mixers over the last several weeks and it looks like we are going to go with the new Mackie ppm1012. It's 2x800 watts, 2 monitor outs, 2 eq's, one for mains and one for monitor. It seems to have the power and the simplicity that we are looking for.

The Yamaha EMX5014c was excellent and is similiar to the Mackie but didn't have the the seperate eq's for mains and monitor. It also had less power than the Mackie. Our hesitation with the Carvin is that it is mail order and we don't want the hassle of dealing with the turnaround time for repairs by mail.

So it looks like its the Mackie ppm1012.
  21. 4Mal

4Mal

Media:
    That is probably a mistake. The old Mackie was good. The new 'Loud' Mackie is not the same thing at all... You are basically trading reliability for features. Service is virtually non-existant with Mackie these days as well... These Loud guys are the same ones that basically closed down Ampeg service and moved production to somewhere not known for it's high tech manufacturing capability or highly educated workforce ...

I run the EMX5000/12. I also run an external EQ and compressors. A little folding table holds a 4 space SKB with a furman, an Aphex 4 comp's in 1 RU, 2 EQ's. On board power does monitors (2 mixes or 1 mix and key's) and my mains are powered JBLs. Another small rack holds a spare power amp if I need to drag the sub along. Mixer sit's nicely on top of the rack(s). The Yamaha has been solid as a rock. If I were doing it again, I'd buy the 5014 in a heart beat ...