Going to buy this guy in a couple days (e30 content)!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by zachoff, Dec 22, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

'89 325xi... AWD e30! Stoked!

What I'd really love is another 2002 (model, not year), but those aren't super practical for daily drivers in Colorado so I'll settle for this guy until I have the garage space for more than two cars (the other spot is for my wife).

It only has 140k miles on it, is basically stock aside from the wheels and stereo, and runs like a champ. If I could change one thing about it, I'd want a 5 speed... This guy's an automatic. I'd also change the color to fjord, but I could still maybe do that someday. Other pics are here: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4254087663.html - But I'll have it on Tuesday!

2. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Cool car. I could not drive an e30 because my left shoulder was always pinned to the door frame; I'm just too wide ;-) . I did love my e28 5ers, though. Take care of it and it will go for a long time. Congrats!

3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    You had me until auto. Awesome though.

4. AWD? I didn't know they made them with AWD.

5. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Nice. I had an '88 (or maybe '87) 325 back around 1997. 100k on the clock, still ran and drove great. The only problem I ever had with it was the power window switches kept going bad.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The XI designation is for AWD. It's split 33/66 front to back.

I have always loved the E30. I drove on until 2006 as my daily drive. It had a full BMW service history from new in 87. You bought yourself a really nice set of wheels. I agree on the downside of it being automatic.

7. Subrage

Subrage

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas City
    Nice! Always wanted to get a 325is 5sp, though being an apartment dweller its not practical.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Cool deal. Now you can be friends with Kelly Taylor.

-Mike

9. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    my old roommate used to build and race those. He had three of them. It was always a riot to be tripping over engine parts in the living room in the middle of the night.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    $4000 for a 24 year old car with 140K seems a bit steep to me. I hope you're handy with a wrench.

11. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Assuming it is in good shape, that isn't bad for an e30.

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    agree

13. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    That's cool. I had an 88 325. It was auto transmission. Sluggish low end, but it kicked in at around 3400 RPMs when it was floored.

14. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Very, very nice.

15. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
  16. It's in great cosmetic shape. There are maybe two small areas where the paint is beginning to fade on the top and trunk, the driver's seat is beginning to wear, and there are a couple small cracks in the dash.

Engine/drivetrain... It leaks a bit of oil. Thinking it's a leaky head gasket & that will probably cost a bit to fix because it's over my head for a DIY. Might need new CV boots & maybe joints. I may do that myself. Needs a washer for the sunroof crank, which is an easy fix. Needed new windshield wipers, which I replaced today. Cruise control doesn't work, but I haven't gone through the fuse box to see if that's an easy fix or not. Loving it though. I just smile when I drive it. I guess since it's a BMW I should smile like this... :smug:

17. I had to look up Kelly Taylor. Made me laugh.

18. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Guest

Dec 4, 2012
    Bmw and land rover share an awful lot of electrical parts and systems, but I don't believe it was that far back they started. Any who out of my 6 land rovers I have owned, everyone came with non working cruise control, 2.00 of vacuume hose And a few minutes later, it worked, so yours may use the same system.

As for oil leak, when you identify it, dig in, don't be scared, mechanics are usually not the brightest people and they get by just fine, at least that's what I tell myself and there's never been anything I couldn't do.

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    :rolleyes:

20. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Pulling a head means it needs resurfaced before reinstalling it. Those cars can get 250k easily with good maintenance.