Going to Houston for a week.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JKR, Dec 21, 2013.

1. JKR

JKR

Any suggestions on a shop that carries used bass guitars in the Houston area. Want to find me a nice old Peavey bass. They rarely come up on CL here in Hawaii. Any forum members in that area willing to part with an older Peavey? Please let me know. Aloha:cool:
  2. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

rockin robin has a ton of used, they are way overpriced, but they will negotiate. As long as u know ur stuff you should be ok.
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Kats Guitars on I45 in Spring
  4. aRandomAggie

aRandomAggie Supporting Member

Another vote for Rockin' Robin, I've bought new and used there, and they'll negotiate on both. They always seems to have some cool/unique used basses on the wall.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

And yet another vote for Rockin' Robin.
    Dress down, have cash on person, pull out PART of what you have to spend and negotiate from there if they will. Better chances if it's one that has been sitting for a while and won't move.
  7. jazznrick

jazznrick

Media:
    Albums:
    They're not primarily a used instrument shop, but I HIGHLY recommend checking out Fuller's Vintage Guitars ( same general area as Rockin' Robin). The sheer quantity, quality, and full range of guitars is worth the trip.
  8. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

I have an epiphone t bird pro I could sell you for cheep ;)
  9. aRandomAggie

aRandomAggie Supporting Member

OP, I know you mentioned used, but Fuller's is my other go-to local shop. They carry just about one of everything in the Fender line-up, from Squier to a couple Custom Shop models, and some other cool brands as well. Not a whole lot used, but I have received almost 20% off street price just for asking "so, is this thing on sale?" Super nice staff, too.

Happy Hunting!
  10. BrianToska

BrianToska

I second Kats. It's in north houston. Love that place. My guitarist works there
  11. JKR

JKR

U just have to love this forum. Really appreciate the help. Wonʻt be headed to Houston until the last week of January. Looking forward to it. Thank you
  12. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

There are about four or five Guitar Centers in the Houston area that get all kinds of used stuff in all the time. The one on I-45 North and on Westheimer seem to get the best variety, and I check there often.

Rockin' Robin is a Houston institution, so you should go there if you get a chance. Texas Music Emporium is right across the street from the Guitar Center on I-45 North, so you can knock them both off the list in short order (TME generally only carries new stuff from what I can tell, but they will price match like anyone else).
  13. BrianToska

BrianToska

I also second Texas Music Emporium along with my previous agreement with Kats. TME doesn't have too much used bass gear but the guys there are great and will match any price. They do have a nice playing Roger Waters P and an awesome squier 77 jazz there. (I was just there last Wednesday finishing up Christmas shopping :D )
  14. Hopkins

Guitar Center does have a lot of used gear. There is one on Westhimer, on I45 on the North Side, on Hwy 59 in Sugarland, On I45 on the south side in Clear Lake, On Fairmont Parkway in Pasadena, right off of the belt way, and another in Katy which I haven't been too.

Fullers Vintage Guitar are outrageous on their prices in my experience.

Rockin Robbin is a must visit, and while your are there, its worth a visit to Cactus Music right across the street, it is an awesome record store.

If you find yourself in Webster Texas, Danny D's Guitar Hacienda is also great, although they don't have a good used section, they have a great selection of high end guitars and basses.
  15. Hopkins

This thread has made me realize that Houston has a ton of music stores