1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

going to Japan to buy an Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silverspear, Mar 17, 2014.

1. silverspear

silverspear

Hi guys!

Wanna share that I've been wanting to get a bass for sometime now, and I've fallen in love with Ibanez's SR neck profile, so since I'll be heading to Tokyo next month to catch the cherry blossoms, I plan to snag an Ibby Bass from Tokyo's Ochanomizu street.

I've noticed too that Japan has some Japan-only editions on the Ibanez website (like SR475 in Flame Maple), and also I've noticed that tokyo websites are also listing some models that are NOT listed in the website at all (like an SSR625, which is essentially a SR605 from what i can see with my limited Japanese).. which will be interesting to see when I get there.

Does anyone have experiences with Japan-only Ibanez Basses, to share with me? Would appreciate some nice info to fuel my GAS :)

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I don't have any experience with Ibanez but when I lived in Japan, I loved going into music stores because you'll always see something that you've never seen before. Products that you didn't even know existed. Have fun and have lots of cash handy.

3. silverspear

silverspear

Thanks! though I must admit I am a little fearful of your last sentence.. :)

4. 4Aaron GE

4Aaron GE

I don't have any Ibanez specific info for you, but I will say this: you will get sucked into that street, and you won't be back for a while. When I was there, I literally spent 6 hours poking around the stores, and checking out what's available; I think there were a couple stores I didn't even make it to either.

I wouldn't worry about the cash thing. It's basically how things are conducted here. IE, cash is king and a lot of places deal only with cash. Buying a $20 000 bass? You could very well be paying with a stack of 100 dollar bills.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Shimokura Gakki is my fave!

7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Doubtful. You'll need to pay in yen.

8. silverspear

silverspear

you mean in Ochanomizu, they won't accept credit cards?? :eyebrow:

9. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog

Been in Japan a while here.

I can tell you for certain that Ishibashi music accepts credit cards. I don't know if all of them do at this point but credit cards have become significantly more ubiquitous over the past few years. This is still a cash-based society though so if you don't have any cash at a lot of places then you're screwed.

Outside of Ochanomizu, there's a few music stores on the East (or West. Can't remember which one) side of Shibuya Station.

You said your Japanese is OK. How good is it. Try using j-guitar.com also. Outside of that PM me and I can help you out a bit.

10. silverspear

silverspear

Wow! J-guitar is indeed very useful for searching used guitars! thanks!

11. silverspear

silverspear

Anyone has brought a bass on to the flight from tokyo successfully? I'll be flying out by JAL/Japan Airlines, and I don't plan to check in the bass...

12. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

I was just in Shibuya looking at some guitar shops and noticed tons of Ibanez SRs in one of them...It was pretty much sensory overload in there and I don't remember what kind of SRs exactly but they had low end to high end. I can try to find out which shop it was exactly.

Also, check this link out for JAL and flying with guitars!
    http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/09/...r-boxes-to-ease-travelling-musicians-worries/

I flew from Tokyo to PDX last year (not on JAL) using an Ashton semi hard case that was quite cheap - about 4000 yen if I recall. It's an easy case to carry to the airport compared to a traditional hardshell case.

13. reddog

reddog Supporting Member

Please remember to bring me back that Fender medium scale jazz (burst / tort) for my birthday.

14. silverspear

silverspear

you're the man! pls tell me which shop is it!

thanks for the link to jal! unfortunately they only offer the flight cases for domestic flights, not for international flights.. bummer.

15. silverspear

silverspear

I just noticed that in akihabara, Ikebe has a shop called "Bass Station", that houses basses only...

Link to shop here

anyone has been here? any good?

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    That one's ok, but the best store hands down is Bass Collection Shibuya, right outside Shibuya station. All high end stuff.

17. silverspear

silverspear

Noted! Will check it out!