Going Wireless. Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Mike Sorr, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Hack with nice gear. Supporting Member

I have been a cable to amp guy my whole life. I don't use effects or pedals other than a Sansamp and Boss tuner. My usual gig is on a postage stamp sized stage in bars and small to midsize clubs. Recently my singer has been on me to go wireless. He thinks cables clutter up the stage, are dangerous and are uncessary with all the inexpensive and high quality wireless systems that are available. I personally don't see the need and on top of that I know exactly nothing about wireless systems, how they affect sound, what is too expensive or which are considered good for my purposes. Any help?
  2. wideload

wideload

I have a wireless available, but usually go wired. Not too big a stage most of the time, and I don't jump around near as much, being old and fat. But I prefer wireless on theater stages and up, for my convenience. And outdoors, for my safety.
  3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

IMO you don't need the wireless. Keep the chord, less problems.
  4. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

I just aquired a Shure system. Admittedly, I was going to use it at really important gig and chickened out; I wanted to err on the side of familiarity. That being said, I have played with it at home, and it seems cool. I can walk from room to room in my house and still play. It feels really free, and there is no sound difference. However, when I was setting up at the aforementioned gig (and testing it for sound check), there seemed to be some transmission issues. (in and out-ish) However However, there were many people on the stage with a lot of stuff, and it could have been interference, hence the "chicken out".
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveC

SteveC

Sounds like you don't need it...or want it.

Is everyone else wireless?
    Do you have IEM's or wedges? Talk about clutter.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Tell him to buy it for you!
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The downside is hauling more equipment and dealing with batteries, but wireless is nice (checkout the Line 6 wireless) - I'm lazy, so I just use a cord most of the time
  9. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    If your singer's a klutz you can use gaff tape to clean up your cable runs.
    Unless playing outdoors or on big stages I don't see the need to go wireless.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you get one, I'd check out the Line 6 stuff. But I'll often just use a cable on gigs where I'm standing in front of my amp the whole time, so it's not like they're obsolete or anything ;)
  11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

I'm not anti-wireless (I've got one for larger stages, for the odd club when noise in the signal won't go away w/o a wireless, and for a handful of gigs when I expect to want to walk out front during soundcheck).

That said, I wouldn't buy one in your shoes—where it seems like the only problem that a wireless would solve belongs entirely to the singer. If he wants you to have one, he can buy it. (Even then, you'd have the extra hassle of running power to the receiver, setting up the unit, keeping the transmitter in batteries, replacing worn out instrument-to-transmitter cables, etc.)
  12. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

just wondering...is your singer using a wireless mic?

I have a wireless rig but always use a cable for small postage stamp sized stages.
  13. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I just bought a wireless system because I often play on fairly large stages and have to move around quite a bit. But on a club gig (or any gig where I'm not moving around much) I'd just use a cable. Think about it - every gig you have to bring your wireless set up (as opposed to just throwing a cable in your gig bag) and then worry that someone is going to spill beer on your receiver. Plus you have to always worry about changing batteries (did you remember to bring spares?!!). It will be more of a pain than it's worth.
  14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

You can get away with cheap wireless for guitar.... not so for bass.

I have a wireless and use it most of the time. But I prefer to use a cable. Less worries, less cost, less setup.

I'm with DWBass, if he wants you to go wireless, let him pay for it :p
  15. butchblack

butchblack Supporting Member

Used one for awhile. Mostly stand or sit in one place so it was of limited advantage to me. If I played larger stages or moved around more I might go back. Unless stage clutter is a major problem or you're situated well away from your amp no need to if you don't want to.
  16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

...Mike, the only advantage that I see is the ability to get out front and hear the mix for yourself as derrico mentioned ...

... that and maybe if you needed a bathroom break, really, really bad in the middle of a song .. :)
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes. Line6 G50.
  18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I use Mogami 18' cables. As soon as I put together another couple hundred beans though I will be getting a G50.
  19. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

G50 here also. Not going back.
  20. spaz21387

spaz21387

line6 g30 owner here. I love it. I prefer it over the g50 because it takes standard 1/4inch jacks instead of the special one.
  21. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Supporting Member

Wireless is very handy to me; I have to run our sound a lot of times when we have no soundman available. Having a wireless allows me to be out at the board, moving around, basically wherever I need to be to know what needs adjusted.
    At the same time, I have had wirelesses where I completely lose my tone. I bought one of the more expensive Shure models (the one in the $600-$700 range) and it is wonderful. I would go with a good wireless if you get one; maybe the Shure like mine or one of the others mentioned previously in the thread.
    Love being able to hear what my bass sounds like as well out in the crowd when I am wireless. Certain rooms, due to size or acoustics, need adjusted to, and being wireless helps me to know what to adjust.