Gold Tone Microbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgwDG-SmV4

Anyone hear at Talkbass have one of these? One of my local stores carries these, and I dig it! This will be one of my GAS acquisitions this year. I think KalaU has better fretwork, but this is the first little bass that really feels comfortable to me, and it sounds good plugged in and acoustic. I may just buy one fretless so I can just avoid have to whip out my fret file!

2. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

Several people own them and love them and there is a thread dedicated to it. I play a fretless Kala u-bass and may grab one of these sometime in the near future.also.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

4. Dr. Cheese

I have not bought one yet, but I plan on getting one although I have always liked those solid body KalaU basses too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

I think you're gonna love it. It's a much more comfortable scale than the ubass. Personally, I hate the strings but I changed mine to ubass strings so it's awesome now.

7. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Love the M-bass. I like their strings too. I think it is the closest thing to catgut I have played. If a steel bass guitar is what you are used to, I can see the attraction to the pahoehoe strings as well. I gave my solid hog fretted u-bass up for the M-bass. If I had gotten a fretless, I would never have tried the M-bass. Love the fretless GT. With the fret marker inlays, you really can't tell the difference other than the ability to dial in the tone you want. My only thing negative about ubass strings are the long time to settle in. I want to pick up and play, not pick up and tune and then play. If you are used to a solid body, maybe you want to wait for the fretless m-bass.

8. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I bought one yesterday along with a Kala in order to compare the two. Should be interesting.

9. Dr. Cheese

I think you should post a video on YouTube. I still love the tone of that solid body Kala U, but is just too tiny for me!

10. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

My early guess is that I will be more comfortable on the GT with the longer scale. I'm just hoping for tone equal to the Kala.

11. Dr. Cheese

The Kala has a deeper tone. The Gold Tone is more middy but it still sounds plenty deep. I think the fretless is especially killer.

12. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Thanks Dr. Cheese. Looking forward to them arriving this week, I'll post some commentary upon their arrival.

13. Gorn Captain

It's the strings. The pahoehoe's are all low end. The thunderguts on the micro are indeed more middy.

14. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I haven't studied all the commentary on strings. I'll get in to that once both arrive, and then pick everyone's brain for preferences.

15. Gorn Captain

This guys tone is what made me originally want a ubass.

These are all on ubasses, but it's the strings that makes these instruments special. All these demos played on a microbass would probably sound roughly the same.

16. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

I hadn't seen the kala harmonics. That was very cool! I would like to see a sound wave of the various types of strings to be able to "see" the difference. I also wonder how the "e" pahoehoe would sound on the m-bass

17. Gorn Captain

It sounds great.
    [​IMG]

18. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

19. Gorn Captain

Yup, but with slightly more tension. I got a 24" scale set from road toad. I have to take out most of the highs and mids in EQ otherwise the tone is kinda uneven, but they sound great that way.

20. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

That cover with with the Thunderguts sounds amazing.

21. mikal

mikal

I sat down a couple nights ago with a guy on piano and another on banjo. Acoustically, the m bass didn't cut it. I was prepared though. I brought along my ehx enigma, and Jeff Berlin combo on low volume it was an awesome!