Golden Earring

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AcadianBassman, Mar 16, 2014.

1. AcadianBassman

AcadianBassman

Anyone know what effect Rinus Gerritsen is using on his bass in the song Twilight Zone? I can't quite put my finger on it.:confused:
  2. MartinH

MartinH

3. thedane

thedane

I just heard that today and I was noticing that ALL the tracks in that song are very full and rich, yet not overly affected sounding - much like Radar Love.

As an engineer - to my ears it sounds more like really good Class-A recording equipment than any overt effect.

My guess it that it's a great bass going into a great rig with some very careful compression being added by probably a very expensive nice old piece of gear...AND I hear a bit of chorusing - but it's SUBTLE and very well tuned so as not to cause phase problems or floppyness in the notes.

Bottom Line: In a track that is as has the production sophistication of that song - it can be VERY hard to guess what they might really have done.
  4. AcadianBassman

AcadianBassman

Thanks both. MartinH, I had seen that page - as you say interesting, thanks for the input :)
    Thedane - yeah, a bit of chorus but couldn't put my finger on it exactly. Thanks. I'll try a tiny bit of chorus just to put an edge to it.
  5. Matthijs

Matthijs

Sounds about right. He is a gear nut and had his own line of basses and guitars. Maybe there's also some creative micing going on? It has been a long time ago since I've seen them life (it used to be a mandatory yearly thing for every Dutch national). I remember a very good life sound, but most of al him shifting his dentures around in his mouth while concentrating on his bass solo.
  6. AcadianBassman

AcadianBassman

Awesome. I'm in Canada so I have Rush as a national treasure :bassist: I think we all have to attend one of their concerts at one time or another.
  7. Randy S

Randy S

Used to cover both tunes back in the day.

I think it was just roundwound strings and well EQ'ed top line equipment.

We used to stretch Radar Love W-A-Y out with a bass solo.

Those were the days, my friends.

I did manage to catch one of their live show in about 1977.