1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

gonna fire the guitards

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by wcnewby, Dec 3, 2013.

1. wcnewby

wcnewby

I just heard on TV that I can buy rocksmith and in 60 days I will be able to have killer riffs that I can pull out at any time. Now, it is easier to play the bass, as it only has four strings, so a replacement bass player should only take what 4/6 so 2/3... like forty days.... granted to do my five string stuff they might have to put in a couple extra days. Its mainly there for looks.

I expect musicians will be flooding the marketplace soon and we, the slow learners, will be totally screwed

2. remainthesame

remainthesame

i have no idea what you just said

3. remainthesame

remainthesame

ok ive read it a few more times. you want to play guitar? whats rocksmith?

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. remainthesame

remainthesame

oh wow. in a way im glad that more people are getting into music. i think technology might be making it a little too easy. but then again, i guess you still have to develop the skills on your own.

7. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Dont worry! It completely passes over theory, reading tabs, fingering, right hand technique, etc.

Your gigs are safe so long as Ubisoft doesn't release a game that actually teaches like a teacher does instead of being Guitar Hero with an instrument. (They won't... ;))

8. Milk

Milk

I'd heard about this a while back. It was only a matter of time. I mean when Guitar hero became popular and i saw these kids playing it and doing really awesomely difficult songs and still nailing every "note" i thought well that is impressive....but why not use your time learning REAL guitar instead? (i had a friend who was both a really good guitarist AND a great guitar hero player...the skills you use for one are useful for the other, if nothing else you learn muscle coordination)

I can see why guitar companies like Epiphone would get behind it too, the truth is one of the reason the sales of musical instruments like basses or guitar is down is not just the economy, kids nowadays have shorter attention spans, for better or worse, and sitting down to learn an instrument, despite what youtube would have you believe, is not something that is being done as much anymore. A kid interested in music nowadays, there's shorter ways to it through electronic music (which has been there a while but only got easier and more accessible) which you can do entirely with just a computer or at least a midi controller which yes does require you to play somewhat but not so much as you can actually program every single note instead of playing them. Considering too that the music out there is less and less organic and more and more electronic, it's become a fairly popular way to get into music. I have nothing against electronic music, i love some of it and have done some in the past and still dabble in it sometimes, but i'd hate to see the traditional instruments become the minority too. This is bringing it to the younger generation. Just because we were really bored doing the same exercises over and over in our rooms in our days with no immediate sense of reward or progress doesn't mean it has to always be this way. I can see how someone could bitterly say oh you know..kids nowadays need to make explosions happen with their guitars and be given scores otherwise they lose interest... Well yeah, it does seem a little ludicrous.... But if that's the way to get them to pick up instruments, i'm all behind it.

Of course as pointed out it doesnt go through theory (which i personally never learned but is still beneficial..though i could see it be easily implemented in the future...in fact..considering theory is so NOT fun to learn...it should really try to cover it) or teaches you to you know...actually be a good musician. But the truth is the worst part of learning an instrument is the beginning when it just feels you're not moving forward fast enough. Anything that can speed the process up (assuming it really does) or at least make it seem easier and more rewarding, is a good thing.

9. wcnewby

wcnewby

I just think it is kind of funny. Like if you can follow a recipe, you are a chef, or if you can talk, your an air traffic controller.

I got a music teacher, and I learned my instrument the real way, I found a band, I worked my ass off... every day, till my fingers had blisters, and those blisters got blisters.

It's almost insulting... really.

They have it for bass too.

10. ChrisC82

ChrisC82

I've been a pretty avid RS user since the first "game". It's what got me into bass 18 months ago. Now two grades, 60-odd lessons and an Epiphone T-Bird later i'm still hitting it about an hour a day. But I'll happily admit, it's not the game but the instrument that got me here.

I use the game as a moving tab. They release good tracks and the second one works really well to motivate. I've tried learning instruments before and the main killer has been at the outset: you suck. Songs sound bad and scales are flat dull. YouTube doesn't tell you if you got it right or wrong and your mates have all been playing for years so eclipse you horrifically.

It's not for everyone. And it's not going to flood the market with musicians. But it does a good job at what it does... heh. It's basically a gateway drug for real instruments...

I'm a fan.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696

I think that's it right there. I haven't played Rocksmith, but it seems like these days there's a lot of competition for kids' attention and not as many are learning to play instruments. If someone's made a video game that piques a few more kids' interest, even if it's just 10% of those that try the game, I'm all for it.

12. wcnewby

wcnewby

I suppose I see the point of getting people into music... It is really hard to keep going at the beginning when you can barely fret a note. A big scary mountain to climb and no bait.

13. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I played Rocksmith for the first time at a mate's house last week.

I've been playing guitar (I know, I know) bass and the drums for years. For the last year, it's mostly been bass. So whilst I'm not a stellar player, I am at least competent and know my way around the instrument well enough to play out and play out well.

I found Rocksmith something of an exercise in frustration. I can see the value in it and what it is trying to achieve. I have no issues with supplementary learning through tools like Rocksmith and they will teach you to play at a basic level but once you reach a certain point, it becomes less and less useful.

I always find rhythm games hard because I have a disconnect between the visual (e.g. reading) and actual (doing) as a result of dyslexia - so taking the information in and acting upon it when it's in front of me and moving has always been a challenge. Rocksmith is probably not for me - but I can see the value and if it gets more people playing then that's great. As long as those people understand that it is not the only solution they need then I see no harm in it.

14. eukatheude

eukatheude

I think it works because it makes easier on the newcomer to actually spend time practicing rather than complaining about not being good on their instruments.
    Having points 'n achievements and what not, literally the gamification of the process of practicing, gives people who aren't dedicated enough a way to start actually playing.

15. JaamE

JaamE Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp Supporting Member

And that's why i've thought about getting it... it would help with that feeling of sucking so badly that you can't even play along with the CD and make parts of the learning process a bit less dull. However my kids tell me it won't run on my machine at home so i havent really looked into it any further.

16. kcole4001

kcole4001

It's pretty ironic that it keeps getting easier for beginners to pick up an instrument while the venues left to play them in are drying up and blowing away.

It's great if it does help more people start to learn to play, hopefully they find it easier to persevere, music is one of the most basic joys of life IMO.

17. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

I have Rocksmith 2014. It's fun to play, fairly accurate, and for me, it's more or less useful for learning good songs that I haven't played before. It's super handy for slowing down tough parts of songs to learn them. Ex: You can turn YYZ's main riff down to 50% speed and have it slowly speed up as you start hitting all the notes in it. Very cool. One thing I noticed improvement in from playing the game: jumping to high frets without looking. There's no time to glance down at your fretboard for more than a fraction of a second without getting lost, so you get pretty good at keeping your eyes off the fretboard.

Does not teach any theory whatsoever but at least it names the chords when you play them. :)

Also it's pretty crappy at knowing when you're doing a 'special' note like a slap, pop, palm mute, hammer, etc. If you get the basic frequency of the note down, it accepts it. So even though it's telling you to slap the note, you could just finger it and it would say 'great job!'.

The session mode is really cool. Nice way to jam by yourself and it seems to be a lot better than most of those crappy drum loop pedals/programs you find online. The band kicks up the tempo and feel when you do, it tells you when you're playing out of key, etc. Handy for learning scales/theory in that regard.

There's a lot of other instructional stuff that I haven't played with yet like the videos which *do* focus on proper technique but really don't grade you on your own performance of them.

One kind of cool thing for the FX junkies out there: When you finish a song, it unlocks the patch for you to modify. Pretty snazzy for trying to steal a tone from a song.

I'm sure tons of people are basing their opinions of this 'toy' based on assumptions rather than actually trying it, but I guess that's just the way it goes. You'll always get uneducated/inexperienced opinions on products sprinkled in with actual knowledgeable reviews. So what if it's not teaching every single aspect of music to someone? You gotta start somewhere. Does Bradley Nowell deserve less credit for Sublime because he didn't have professional instruction? Does Matthew Bellamy deserve more because he's classically trained? If the game creates more interest for music, praise it. Look what Tony Hawk's skateboard game did for the skate community... skating was pretty much dead when that nowhere-near-realistic game came out and it made a major impact on that industry. If this game did the same for music, would you still trash it because it wasn't the same as a per-hour instructor?

Also... is that friggin Andy from ProGuitarShop.com doing the voiceover??? I swear it's him.

In the end, RS is cool for getting gamers to try something other than a controller, and fun for people who can already play. Not to mention that not everyone has instant access to a bass/theory teacher. Try growing up in a rural area and picking up a hobby that nobody else does for miles. This game would be a great way for those demos to pick up music. Not the amazing learning tool they market it to be, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Recommendations for future versions: Slowly ween the player off of tab-like notation and on to sheet music as their technical skills improve. Drop out the actual note-for-note fills and force the player to do their own fill in key. Ear training. Metronome based rhythm training. The technical bits are for the most part there (low latency, cool amps/effects that sound pretty good, etc.) for this type of educational content, but I guess they found it to be not gamey enough to include. I'd really like to see them take this game to the 'advanced' level and use their technical abilities to create an array of instructional content built around the game engine they already created.

18. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Man, to have a good drawer of riffs handy so I won't have to deal with twangers, anymore! I think your math is dead on for learning bass (I used a calculator).

Yeah, I tell you, all these kids will have to buy is a game controller, I mean guitar. I'm thinking of opening up a music store next to the video game arcade.

f n o r d !

19. CnB77

CnB77

I used Rocksmith briefly but the latency between what you hear, what you play, and what it registers was off enough to make it very frustrating for me. It's tiny and other people adjust well to it but it was really disorienting so I had to stop playing.

20. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

I have it on PC and use my recording sound card which has almost no latency (~5ms) but I had to fiddle with settings a bit. If there was 20ms+ latency it would be very disorienting. Curious... did you play it on a console or PC? I would assume they have the latency pretty rock bottom low on the consoles. Could be the display latency too which has always been a problem in the rhythm games like guitar hero.

21. wcnewby

wcnewby

Mostly, I don't like that they say you can be a guitarist in 60 days. Like it's super easy or that anyone can do it. I am not fully convinced of that. Sure, anyone probably could learn to play an instrument, but the people these people want to be are able to convey emotion with their instruments. I am not positive that just anyone can learn to do that.