Goo Gone and pickguards.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Batmensch, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Batmensch

Batmensch

I have a spare Squier P-bass pickguard, andit has some spots of old masking tape residue. I was thinking of using Goo gone to remove them , but I'm uncertain what the stuff might do to the pickguard. Is Goo Gone safe to use? Will it hurt the pickguard? If it's not compatible, is there a safer alternative?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Try a dab on the backside first to determine tolerance. WD40 or white vinegar may do the trick, as well.

Riis

3. Batmensch

Batmensch

I thought of that, but I don't want to buy the stuff and then find out I can't use it. I do have some white vinegar, maybe I'll give it a try. TNX.

4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Dunno about vinegar dissolving the adhesive, but WD40 will do it, as will Goo Gone.

One suggestion to add: remove the pickguard from the bass before you get to work on the sticker. That way you don't have to worry about solvent getting down the pickup rout or pulling (capillary action) under the edge of the pickguard. WD40 likes to wick into small spaces; that's what it's made to do.

And a wipe with isopropyl alcohol after you're done with the solvent will get any greasiness off the pickguard.

Edit: duh. Now I notice that you said it was a spare pickguard, so I take you to mean it's not installed on a bass...

7. Batmensch

Batmensch

Heh, yes it's a spare ...
    Anyway, so will WD40 do any damage to the PG? (I'm assuming no?) That's my main concern, if any of these solvents will damage the PG.

8. bassdog

bassdog

I use a tiny bit of lighter fluid for stuff like that. Works great but be careful with that cig!

9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

No - neither of them will hurt the pickguard.

I recently bought a NOS replacement pick guard for a Peavey Fury (PV Customer service and parts is AMAZING) and the clear protective plastic was so old and hard it would not come off. I soaked the pickguard in WD-40 overnight to soften the adhesive (Thanks to TBers' suggestions) and it came off the next day. The only problems were the scrape marks from my earlier efforts. Afterwards, you can just wash with a little dishwashing detergent to get the oil off.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I use goo gone with no problems

11. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

I use goo gone all the time. mcguiars scratch x works well for removing swirls

12. Batmensch

Batmensch

13. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

nail polish remover

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Only if acetone-free and, even then, I'd be extra careful and test in an inconspicuous spot.

Riis