Good "add on" effect for soloing?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by atticpenny, Dec 27, 2013.

1. atticpenny

atticpenny

Hey TBers,

Did some searching for ideas, but found probably too much info...all of which didn't quite answer the question I have.

I have been asked to do more soloing in the band. Tough life, I know! :) Anyway, I normally keep my Sansamp Bass Driver on all the time, with a nice round, fat tone. It is my default tone.

However, I have found that it just doesn't JUMP OUT when I take a solo. I have an MXR Carbon Copy delay which is fun, and an MXR envelope filter, which is funky, but again, neither of them help me to "cut through." Also, neither of them are good as a "default" solo tone. I find the envelope filter is kind of good for one type of solo sound.

Fuzz or outright distortions probably wouldn't be appropriate for this band. It isn't very "heavy." I need something to help me stand out / cut through, maybe even flavor the tone, but not just make me sound like a lead guitar player. I would prefer if this effect would work in conjunction with my Sansamp BDDI, so I don't end up having to tap dance on stage before each solo. :)

Any ideas or experience in this you care to share? Thanks in advance!

2. bass_muter

bass_muter

I think having the delay on a very minimal setting helps widen things, and so does having a chorus pedal.

To jump out of the mix you could try boosting the amp louder than usual and having the guitar turned down slightly until its solo time and you can crank it!

Other interesting effects I have seen/used are a pitch shifter, usually set to an octave up is really nice. Using a phase pedal can be very interesting especially if you set it high in the mix with a fast rate (similarly you can get odd sounds from a chorus doing this too). If you really want to stand out I can recommend getting a bass synth pedal. I currently use a Behringer BSY600 and its not that bad, probably the cheapest synth pedal on the market. It has a lot of different sounds and can be really beefed up when mixed with an envelope filter!

Hope this helps,
    Ryan

3. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

It all depends on how you want to solo... percussive, chords, melody lines...? Overdrive and some reverb can go a long way for the most part.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    First thing that comes to mind is delay -- especially if it has enough of an on tap volume boost to pop you up in the mix. Set to a shorter decay time it won't get excessively messy, and will help retain the "full sound" even if you've ditched rhythm duties.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

There are 3 and 6 preset versions of the BDDI that would let you have a different EQ/gain level for a solo sound. The 6 preset one also has a programable effects loop so you'd be able to add something like a chorus or octave pedal automatically when you switch to your solo tone.

7. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I would try either chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo. Chorus is especially nice for adding a fatness and shimmer to your sound without sounding too effected.

8. kevteop

kevteop

Just boost. Another 3dB would probably be plenty. Get a boost pedal.

Or get a chorus if it's still 1985, but definitely do check the date first.

9. BassCajon

BassCajon

^ this, or any EQ pedal should do it.
    Even a GE7 or a fish n chips would work great for figuring out exactly which frequencies you'd like to be jumping out when playing your solos. I had a Sansamp BDDI so i know what you mean.

10. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr

11. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

I thought chorus, or a booster.

12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Honestly, I have never liked soloing of any kind. It is nothing more than self indulgence and the audience usually finds it boring.

13. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Just playing something musical and relevant to the song for a bass solo would set you apart from many players. :bag:

14. Swift713

Swift713

Musical? That sh@t doesn't sell any more.

15. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

Okay, so why was that input necessary?

I find delay to be a good effect for soloing, it gives a bit more of a spacious feel to the notes.

16. BFunk

The problem for the soloing bassist is that is often unaccompanied. So, I feel the need to create more of a keyboard/synth texture to fill out the sound more. I will usually start with light overdrive to introduce the solo and establish the theme. Then I will change to more intense effects as I take the solo 'out' a little more. Personally, I don't understand why guitar players just don't comp over the bass solo. Maybe this is a left over of the upright world where they were hard to hear through accompaniment.

17. ncapone

ncapone

18. thewildest

thewildest Supporting Member

My 2 cents: i truly don't think a frequency modifying pedal such as Chorus/ Flanger/ Phaser or a delay/reverb will help in this case, as the issue i guess it is on creating some kind of contrast to the existing sound

If i were you I would bring my bridge pickup to the fullest, cut a little the bass and bring mids/treble a few notches. Also try playing closer to the bridge so you can cut through. That will definitively set you in a frequency that will be in clear contrast with the background and your own bass sound.

Nothing wrong with soloing, make sure you convey the chord changes in your phrasing if your band mates leave you alone. If they play along, make sure to focus on building a very nice melody through your solo

19. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

MXR Micro Amp will give you a nice boost. They have a new version now with an EQ too. Maybe that would help you pop through the mix.

20. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

I definitely think you should try eq pedals and chorus, but a little bit of distortion can go a long way, even if you're not in a "heavy" band.

21. BFunk

But isn't that exactly what you are doing by introducing a new effect, providing a contrast to the existing soundscape? I think the point you are making is valid, but a little rigid IMO. I believe that it is very easy to over use effects in a solo. You need to bring the audience into the solo experience first and then lead them onto what you are trying to create. So easy on the effects, especially at first. Don't make it a jarring experience. Then bring them into the dark side! :)