Good Advanced Ear Training Method/Program

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RyRoBass, Dec 4, 2013.

1. RyRoBass

RyRoBass

Looking for a good ear training method I can do in my own time. Something that would be on par with advanced college level study.

I'd like to work on picking out harmonic progressions quickly, and also being able to distinguish upper extensions and chord voicings by ear.

Any and all thoughts appreciated,

Cheers!
  2. GastonD

GastonD

I am definitely not on that level of my ear training right now, but it seems to be a rather wide consensus on the quality of David Burge's relative Pitch Method, but there are several internet resources I thing are useful to a higher or lower degree, such as EarBeater, Teoria etc.
  3. ics1974

ics1974

I am ear training myself but I am doing it old school. Just pick an easy sounding song that you can hear the bass clearly. You should be able to hum the bass line. Then just figure it out by trial and error. No programs needed.
  4. RyRoBass

RyRoBass

Earbeater looks pretty good!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jamerman

Jamerman

GNU Solfege is a free, open-source (I think), ear-training program, and trains you to recognize intervals, scales, chords and other things. It's very useful :)

Another thing to try is take a song, slow it down in something like transcribe (Audacity might work too) and work it out note for note. It'd be useful if you did it on notation, so you improve your skills of sight-reading a little too
  7. punkrocko

punkrocko Supporting Member