1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Good, Affordable 210 cabs to go with GK mb200?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ortfs, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Ortfs

Ortfs

Greetings fellow bassists,
    I have been meaning to replace my old peavey 40w practice amp for a while now so I've been thinking about investing in a small stack rig, which I can later expand on when I have more money to spare. As far as heads go, I've tried the GK mb200 of a friend and I'm absolutely in love with it, so I've got my heart set on buying one for myself. So I've been looking for a 210 cab to go with it and I've heard a lot of brand names being thrown about and I don't know what to go for. One option could be the ampeg SVT 210av, but I've read that the low end can get pretty farty, and as much as I love that ampeg tone, I don't think I could handle a farty low end after what I've gone through with my almost-fried peavey. I am also considering the TC BC210, but it's an 8 ohm 250w cab and I don't know how good it would pair up with the 200w 4 ohm head. Also I've found very few reviews on the BC cabs, have any of you got any experience? I've also looked into Avatar's cabs, but since I live in Europe shipping could be an issue. Unfortunately my budget for the cab is only around 350 euros (around 460 USD), so I can't go for anything super-duper at the moment, that's why I'm considering buying something like the BC210 so I can just buy another once I have the cash.
    I mostly play jazz, funk and a bit of rock/pop on the side and I like that bright tone, without forgetting a full, but not fat, low end. I know many of you are going to say that 350 euros isn't enough even for a proper 210 cab, but that's just the way things are for me right now :( .
    Thanks in advance for any replies, hopefully you guys will be as helpful and understanding as always :)

2. eriky4003

eriky4003

I've read happy campers with TC stuff, but I can't recall if it's the BC or another model. Off the top of my head, I've also read good stuff on the Eden 210XLT or XLS which can handle a lot of bass if required. You may also want to check Carvin cabs as I've read they're available in Europe. GK did have a Neo 210 that I would recommend but it's discontinued so used market would be the place to look.
    The TC RS210 has a lot of love.

3. Ortfs

Ortfs

Thanks for the reply eriky, unfortunately the Eden and the RS210 are out of my price range. Could this be the GK cab you were talking about? http://www.thomann.de/it/gallien_krueger_210mbe_ii.htm
    If yes, isn't the wattage a bit to high compared to the wattage of the mb200?

4. eriky4003

eriky4003

Ortfs,
    You could get the 210mbe but the one I recommended was the discontinued Neo 210. I believe the mbe were the value version of the Neo 210 (similar/same speakers, different cab). The cab being higher rated than the amp wouldn't be an issue - I've seen rigs on this site which were the MB200 on an 8x10 cabinet(!).
    You can check this site for feelings on the 210mbe. It would probably be a good match but I haven't tried the mbe so I don't feel qualified to recommend.
    Most people on this forum would say best value for buck would be to buy used so you may want to look around at what's being offered and come back to this site for opinions.
    You'll probably want to go with a 4 ohm cab so you can get the full 200 watt potential of the MB200. With an 8 ohm cab, you would probably only get about 120 watts.
    Good luck!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Erik Turkman

Erik Turkman

Maybe a used Genz Benz Shuttle 210 cabinet?

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Both Carvin and Avatar over decent-to-good 210's that can be ordered with the 4 ohm option. Since the MB200 is a fairly low-powered head, get a 4 ohm cab so you make use of all the MB200's power. With higher-power heads, it makes more sense to get 8 ohm cabs but with this head the 4 ohm will make a noticeable sonic difference.

www.avatarspeakers.com

www.carvin.com

8. grey area

grey area

save a bit more and go for the TC RS 210. imo its well worth it and it sounds great with my MB200 View attachment 355909
    theres a lot of posts on TB about this cab and its rated as a real great cab at a real good price. you only have to save a 100 euros more.
    if you get a 4ohm cab your stuck with one cab. the difference between 130 watts and 200 is more or less un noticable to your ears where as the difference between one 210 cab and two 210 cabs is vast. 4 ohm cabs are for folks who are either never gonna go bigger or folks who have 2 ohm capable amps.one day you will want to add another cab and you cant do it with a 4 ohm. to double the volume of a 50 watt amp requires 500 watts so do the math for the difference in volume between 130 and 200 watts. its nothing.

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

You're only stuck with one 4 ohm cab with this particular head, which is not an ideal gigging head because it lacks power. If he gets a 4 ohm cab and wants to add another cab later, there are plenty of options. For now, jamming with this head, a 4 ohm cab is the wiser choice (despite your math), and the TC cab isn't worth more than the Avatar and certainly not a BRX10.2 from Carvin.

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

you can get two Ampeg 210AV's used for the price you are looking and run it as a 4 ohm 410 when needed ... I have the exact stack about 3 feet from me right now ... if they dont work for you, there is an excellent resale market for them used ... JMHO

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

My answer is the same to anybody else....buy pre-owned. Your money goes further and you can probably get closer to the super duper range if you shop around. I hate buying new and only will do it when it doesn't exist used, which is rarely. Watch the basschat website for the UK/EU equivalent of this place, always folks selling gear.

12. grey area

grey area

agreed. but remember we are in euroville and dont have easy access to all the stuff you have in the USA. i wish we did but then again my GAS is bad enough with our limited choice. i dread to think what it would be like with all the stuff you have.i have also noticed that 4ohm cabs are thin on the ground here, there are a few but they tend to be single driver cabs that would need to be doubled up for any loudish stuff and would require a 2ohm amp to do so.i still reckon an 8 ohm and saving hard would be a better coarse. then again, everyone to their own as they say.

13. Ortfs

Ortfs

Thank you all for your replies. One of the reasons I want a stack amp is that I eventually want to own 2 210 cabs, one to keep in the room where I rehearse and one for practice at home, and then use them both for gigging. I think I'm going to buy one BC210 for the time being to use with the mb200 and then buy another cab and a better head down the line so I have 2 mini rigs that I can combine in to one fairly giggable one. The only thing holding me back is that I can't seem to find many reviews on the BC line right now, and as much as I trust TC as I have owned some of their products in the past, namely the ditto, I want to make sure that I'm getting what I pay for. Unfortunately the RS210 is very rare here in Europe, and the shops that do stock it sell it for almost double the BC210, so I simply can't afford it.
    So, thoughts on the BC210?

14. Hnz

Hnz

Get the Gallien-Krueger 212MBE. It's a perfect match with the 200MB.
    It gives you 210-like fastness with more bottom. Give it a try, I'm sure you'll love it.
    And it's within your budget!

[​IMG]

15. grey area

grey area

go for it.

16. Hnz

Hnz

17. eriky4003

eriky4003

Thanks, Hnz. That's the one I recommended above. The kickback feature is also good for hearing yourself. With a bit of velcro you can attach your head to the top of the cab or have the cab vertical.

18. dougjwray

dougjwray

I would suggest trying to find a used GK 210RBH. I have two, which I bought at different times for about $275 each. This cabinet is heavier than a NEO (of course), but it's rated at 400 watts and has a lot of tight bottom end, plus an adjustable tweeter.

19. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I wholeheartedly disagree, and all of this advice is completely misleading in terms of the MB200. These comments sound like they come from never having played through this head. It's an absolute beast of a 2lb amp. A 4ohm 210 would limit its use; this low wattage head needs more speakers, not more headroom. In general, the only benefit to running at full power (4ohms in this case) is to get more useable headroom. But the MB200 pretty much never distorts, so headroom isn't an issue. You can just about dime it, and it only gets that GK growl. As Grey Area said, getting an 8ohm cab and having the option of adding another cabinet would be more beneficial from a volume perspective, letting you play in more places/situations.

I own and gig an MB200 regularly with a pair of Ampeg 210AVs, usually with a loud cover band. For practice and smaller gigs I just use one cab. They are a great pairing with this head because they are so mid-voiced and tight, helping overcome the natural GK scoop for cutting in a live mix (the Avatar is the opposite and will get lost). A high pass filter like the fdeck HPF3 will let these cabs roar, and I've never had them fart on me. Before those cabs, I gigged the MB200 with a single 8ohm Hartke 410 and never got the gain past 1 o'clock.

20. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I think that's a solid idea. I've read positive things about those TC cabs, and if you like the brightness and heavy bottom of the GK it would prob be a better choice than the Ampeg 210av, which is better for an old school sound (more organic, not as bright/modern). Don't worry about the wattage rating on the cab, the MB200 will push it fine, even at the 8ohm load. It's a very conservatively rated head that sounds louder to me than some amps I've had that are almost double the wattage.

21. grey area

grey area

thanks jumble. i often read on here from folks who get stuck in a corner with a 4 ohm cab and even though they are fine for certain folks they dont seem to be something for your average bassist unless you have a bit of bread to throw around on exotica.i also highly rate the GK MB 200 and find it PLENTY loud. i think the OP has made a good start by choosing this amp and has asked advise on speaker choice.
    thanks again jumble and good luck OP