1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Good affordable 4x10 cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by PhilStache, Jan 7, 2014.

1. PhilStache

PhilStache

:help: So I am in the process of buying a new amp and cabinet. I have decided on the Orange Terror BT500 amp. But as I am spending $800 on the amp that doesn't leave a lot in my budget for a cab. I'm looking for a cheap but dependable 4x10 cab. I'm trying to spend no more than $500 on the cab and I'm not opposed to buying used. My ideas so far include an Ampeg Portaflex 410, Ampeg 410hlf ( both used) or a Fender Rumble 410 which goes for $300 brand new. Any one with any experience with these cabs or any other suggestions to help a fellow bass player out would be appreciated. I play a Fender P-bass special (with the P and single J-bass pickup). I play in a punk band that gigs very frequently so portability and light weight are pluses but tone and punchiness are the most important factors for me.

Also the amp I'm getting is a 500 watt amp this is my first time buying an amp and cab separately this may be a dumb question so sorry but how close does the watt load of the cab and amp have to be? The Fender Rumble cab is rated for up to 1000w so will using a 500w amp not work with that? Or the Ampeg 410hlf is only rated for 400w so will a 500w amp blow the speakers? Again sorry if I'm being a total newb but any help and suggestions would be much appreciated.
  2. Mortom27

Mortom27

I will go with the Ampeg HLF 410, good cab plenty of tone
    punch and bottom but you also want portability right?
    you should check the GK Neo series good cab too with 800W very very light weight. both cabs you can find from less than $500
  3. Mortom27

Mortom27

I really don't think that fender cab is 1000watts!!
    but if your amp is 500w you may want to get a 500w cab also or a 400w and you'll be fine, you wont blow any speakers at that range my head is 750w and my 610 cab is 600w i haven't had any problems so far
  4. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I like either the LINE6 410 or Carvin BRX4.10 cabs (if you can get used, it's a GREAT deal)
  5. Mortom27

Mortom27

6. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

THIS!!! $489.00 NEW !!
  7. wighat

wighat

If your playing in a punk band on a four-string you would probably be happier with an Ampeg SVT410HE.
  8. msaone

msaone

I have the rumble 410 cab with a 350w head. Runs fine. Priced right

We play progressive instrumental loud but defined.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

No mattter what the rabid anti-Fender haters may say, don't believe their hate speech. The very best 410 cab is the Fender Bassman Neo 410 cab. The only better cab is the Fender Bassman 610 :smug:

Of all the ceramic magnet driven 410 cabs, the Fender Rumble 410 is the very BEST! There are none better. Sure there are many that cost two; three; or four times as much, but they aren't any better. Indeed, they don't even sound as good.

You want a great cab? Buy A Fender. Case Closed. :cool:
  10. Mortom27

Mortom27

why don't you try to find the amp that you want used?
    it'll save you some cheddar that u can put on any cab that u'll decide on , GC got one for $579.99 [​IMG]
  11. msaone

msaone

Linnin,

Thanks for backing me up. About half of us love the fender cabs, the other half are wrong ;)
  12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    You can find good used Ampeg 410HE cabs fro around $300 to $350.
  13. Mortom27

Mortom27

keep "Rumble" on if that's what u like bro.
    I never said I HATE fender cabs , just cause i don't use it doesn't mean i hate it
  14. PhilStache

PhilStache

Thank you all!! That fender rumble is rated for 500w continuous 1000w peak. Im not so sure exactly what that means but I will look into the GK cabs. Before this I have been using a GK MB210 combo amp which had great tone but not quite enough punch for our rehearsals and live gigs but man that thing was light and portable but sadly a speaker blew in it and while i still plan to repair and sell it I decided it is time to upgrade. But those cabs are super light weight and other than the speaker blowing (which was probably bound to happen being as it was used very heavily) that amp was awesome.
  15. Mortom27

Mortom27

it means that the fender is only 500watts
    +1 on the GK
  16. msaone

msaone

Mortom27. Who said you hated anything?
  17. Mortom27

Mortom27

Msaone, don't worry wasn't u
  18. msaone

msaone

19. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

If you want great tone and a highly efficient 410 on the cheap the Eden D410XLT would be on my list. They weigh 98lbs but have great handles and casters to help. The tone would be great for what the OP is doing and because of their weight, they can be had well below $500 in great condition on the used market.

I had a Fender 410 back in the 90's. It wasn't built particularly well and didn't go very deep. The Ampeg are a good bang for the buck but won't cut in a room like the Eden would. If you want to be heard preview an Eden D410XLT.
  20. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member