Good Affordable basses with 1 pickup 1 vol 1 tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chilliwilli, Jan 22, 2014.

1. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

The catch is no split precision pickups allowed.
  2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

The floor manager at the local Urban Guitar Center was trying to sell me a Chinese-made SUB Ray 4. It sounded alright in his hands, but I got the impression he had totally disregarded all of my criteria for choosing a bass, and headed right for what he had too many of sitting on his floor.
  3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Well, if you wanted to go used, I still think the old Guild B301s are awesome basses with a cool vibe.

[​IMG]
  4. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

What an interesting bass do you have any more info on it?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

7. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Oh and by affordable I meant cheap lol.
  8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Epi ebo, gretch 2210, Squier vm tele, Squier cabronita. Mustangs and broncos and have split pups, but they're not exactly precisions.
  9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Sure, I still have mine - it was my first electric bass, a 1977 that I bought used in 1992.

It has a single DiMarzio pickup a bit further back than where the D&G coils of a Pbass would be. So sort of in between a pair of jazz pickups. Big, huge chiming sound.

It's a set neck with a chunky Pbass type neck profile but a flatter fingerboard radius than vintage fenders. They can be set up for nice, low action and the lower horn and set neck mean fantastic upper register action. The bridge was (I think) only used on the B301, it's two pickup brother the B302 and then the next generation B401 and B402. It's a big, funky thing that works well enough and was always too cool looking for me to think about replacing.

The body shape came from a similar guitar that Guild made but they didn't bother extending the upper horn as you should for a bass so it's got some neck dive to it but it isn't too bad on a strap. And even though the body and neck are solid mahogany, the bass is pretty slim front to back so it is pretty lightweight - mine is a little over 8 pounds.

Mine was fretted but they are also awesome fretless basses. Personally I think they are underpriced/undervalued on the used market. And I still think the old Guilds vie with Rickenbackers for having the coolest vintage headstocks.
  10. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

Epiphone Jack Casady bass.

Mike
  11. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Precision Bass
  12. ejaggers

ejaggers

You probably need to define "Affordable", I doubt if that Guild B301 and Jack Casady falls in that category.

13. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Peavey Fury....they come on the classifieds regularly ranging from $200 to $275. Lots of love for it on this forum.
  14. mattfong

mattfong

Squier Vista Musicmaster, if you dig short scale. Also if you can find one...
  15. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

I wanna try one of these:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/spb1100hbk.html

That's a fine looking instrument.

Had one and enjoyed it for a little while.
    But I don't regret selling it either.
  16. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Love to all, but not sure why anyone would:confused: limit themselves to a bass under these conditions… for sport?
  17. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    Oh completely awesome, nothing more to be said!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  18. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Another vote for the Epiphone Jack Casady bass. I've had one since 1998 and love it. It's so simple, but it gives you a wide variety of tones. It's very responsive to right hand positions and different kinds of strings.
  19. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

[​IMG]

Yep. Early Peavey Fury. Great basses.
  20. FourBanger

FourBanger

Dean Zone 09 and Edge 09, Guitar Center and/or Musicians Friend usually have one of the two version (body shape slightly different) for around $130.

Single soapbar, volume, tone, four strings, four tuners, a bridge...
  21. NightCat

NightCat

I bought one of the Pisces basses from Rondo Music (SCPB) last summer and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it played. All I really needed to do was put DR Sunbeam's on it and do a good set-up and it was good to go.
    [​IMG]

I only bought it as a couch bass and a project bass but it is actually a pretty good player after new strings and a set-up.

In my case I deglossed the finish, Telecastered the headstock and put in a SD Antiquity II pick-up, but I mostly did that just for fun.

I did need to open up the pick-up pocket with my Dremmel to get the pickup to fit.

The other cool thing is that the pickguard can be removed because the body isn't roughted out under the bat wing.