Good all-around p-bass pickups!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by theJuice67, Dec 13, 2012.

1. theJuice67

theJuice67

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and I've searched for this question everywhere, but I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer. I play guitar, and I'm somewhat new to bass, I've messed around with one before, but nothing overly serious. As a shop project, however, I've decided to build a bass guitar. I've pretty much got my whole parts list down, except for the pickups (I'm planning on routing it for p-bass p-ups). I need something that suits pretty much everything, cause I play and listen to anything really (except country, lol), stuff like the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Californication album, mainly), Pink Floyd, some Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, some reggae, etc. From experience, I'll be playing fingerstyle, with some slap and popping thrown in for fun. I don't want to spend a whole lot either, no more than about $70. Any suggestions from you guys would be awesome! I had a couple in mind, but I cant decide what would be good for my style:
    - Golden Age P-Bass pickups from StewMac (seem like good value for the $)
    - Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot
    - Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pounder
    - Dimazio Model P

Thanks in advance!
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

That would be the Fender 62' RI. Best "best of" P bass tones. It doesn't emulate a specific model year, it just sounds good.

The SD SPB-1 and SPB-2 are in the same realm as well. The SPB-2 is would a little hotter and I find that it has more low end than the 62' RI.

Model P and Quarter Pounder are a little more specialized. I was never a fan of the QP's, but I've got a Model P in one of my P's.

Compared to the 62' RI, the Model P has a little more low end, a little more mids, and a little more high end, and can get more aggressive. It's also got adjustable pole pieces.
  3. theJuice67

theJuice67

Thanks for the reply! The 62 RI does seem nice, but it is a little out of my price range. Out of the others you listed, what would you suggest would be the most versatile, and be the best for what I'd listed before? Thanks again!

Btw, I'm not too sure, what is a p-bass really supposed to sound like? And I'm not too sure what exactly "hotter" means either haha. Sorry for all the newbie questions!
  4. Teacher

Teacher

I'd also consider the Wilde (Bill Lawrence) P-46.
  5. bassgod0dmw

They used to be $70 everywhere. I'm not sure when the price went up.

The SD SPB-1 and 2 are both very nice. By "hotter" it usually means a little more output.

I've also heard a lot of good things about the Bill Lawrence P-46 that Teacher mentioned, but no direct experience.

If you've got nothing against used pickups, you can check out the classified section on the forum. I'm sure you can find an MIA P pickup or the 62' RI for a good price, along with a whole slew of others.

As for what a P is supposed to sound like, go to any music store and plug one in. They don't sound all that great on their own but they really shine in a mix.
  6. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

7. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

DiMarzio Model P for the styles you are talking about and the price point you are looking for.
  8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

+1
    Got a few older basses with DiMarzio's and they do have a bit more "range of styles" than do the 2 here with Seymour Duncan SPB3's. Sort of like a P bass pickup with a serious attitude if you push on them(like the music you listed requires IMO).
  9. awamori

awamori

+2

If you want a bit more tonal flexibility the Split P is a good second choice though it has a slightly scooped sound to it.
  10. soulman969

soulman969

I'll second this suggestion. I have one in my PBass and I love the clarity and articulation. It's in your price range too and I doubt you'll find better in this price range.

http://www.wildepickups.com/Bass_Pickups.html

[​IMG]

Price: $60
    Dimensions:
    Width 1.10"
    Length 2.24"
    Depth 0.82"

Inductance:
    3.8H
  11. spaz21387

spaz21387

model p!!!
  12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

13. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Yep.

The 62 has the right balance. The 62 Fender pickup is the one I record with.Took me a while to figure that out, I admit. But that's what I finally settled on.

If you're primarily concerned with LIVE sound, that's the only reason I'd consider anything "hotter." I' have the Bill Lawrences, a few different SD's and the DiMarzios, but my recommendation for HOT P-bass pickups is the G&L MFD. More everything, lots of it!
  14. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts

Attached Files:

15. Andy_D

Andy_D Supporting Member

Here is a third vote for the Bill Lawrence. Have on in my Peavey Fury and it just kills! Best bang for the buck hands down!
  16. warnergt

warnergt

17. theJuice67

theJuice67

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate it! Sorry for the late reply, been busy lately! From what I've read, I'm kind of leaning towards the Model-P, since it falls closest to my price range (gotta hate shipping to Canada, haha!) and because it seems to be a fairly versatile pickup, from what you guys are telling me. Any thoughts/suggestions?? Again, something that sounds nice and mellow, but can handle some aggressive tones as well, for the types of music I listed above. Thanks!
  18. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

I highly recommend Best Bass Gear as an option, especially since they ship for FREE to Canada :)

J
  19. bassgod0dmw

I'm not sure that I would call the Model P nice and mellow. With the right technique, strings, and EQ...I suppose it can do it. But it's definitely better suited to a more aggressive tone.
  20. vgbob

vgbob

Most iconic guitars/basses have a sound that was 'typical' of a specific model/year due to many factors. Trying to emulate a specific sound has become a huge business, which you are obviously learning. And, as always, sound is subjective, so I end up just going for what I want my interpretation to be. I can say that of all the basses I own my 62 reissue is the only
    bass I have not had the urge to modify in any way. That is only one of many P basses, but it is what a P should sound like, to me. If you want an example of hotter, go check out a
    G&L SB-2. Like the P it has a split single coil pickup but much
    more output than a Fender P, which is 'typical' of a G&L.