1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Good amp for both upright and electric?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jlo95, Apr 7, 2014.

1. jlo95

jlo95

I'm looking to upgrade my amp. I'm currently gigging on my Behringer practice amp and it is horrible. I'm looking for an amp that can work well for both upright and electric playing. Not worrying about cost right now, nor combo vs cab + head. Just suggestions on brands, makes, models, what you guys use.
    Thanks!

2. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

The general concession is that the Gallien Krueger MB 150 is the ideal bass for doubling. It is a small but powerful combo (played on a bunch and will soon be getting my own). They usually retail for about $650 to $700.

3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

What's your budget and what's the application?

The GK is OK for the 30+-year-old design it is, but there are better options. The best I've played is a Walter Woods into a Bag End or Euphonic Audio cabinet. Acoustic Image is also pretty good, but painfully bright on the high end to my ear.

4. tyb507

tyb507

Threre are a LOT of threads on this topic, in case you haven't already searched!

I loved my Aguilar Tone Hammer 500, and the EA Doubler was great, but I needed more wattage so I got an Acoustic Image head that goes to 800W at 4Ω, since I play 99% upright. The Carvin heads seem to get love among the loud slappy players, and Mike Arnopol extols the virtues of the Tecamp Puma 900. If I didn't have to get really loud sometimes, I'd probably buy another Tone Hammer 500.

For cabs, I love my Big E MAS85, and am acquiring an MAS46 which is supposed to go louder and lower, which will be good since I'm picking up a bit more electric work. There are three very long threads about the Big E stuff on the electric side. Also: http://masoundworks.com/

I haven't tried the Greenboy Audio cabs other than the Crazy8 (which I loved), but some folks are gaga over the Fearless line, and the F212 seems to be blowing everybody who tries it away. Search here and on the electric side for Fearless and Fearful, and check out the Greenboy forum.

Other cab names that pop up that I have no experience with are Acme LowB, Bergentino, Aguilar.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

jlo 95.

Most doublers look for a two channel amplifier, so you can have different EQ settings for each instrument. If that's what you want, then the Euphonic Audio Doubler and Acoustic Image Flex heads offer those functions. I like Euphonic Audio cabinets because they work quite well with DB and EB and are very lightweight. My current go to cabinet, is a Audiokinesis TC 112, because it's the best cabinet I own for doubling.
    One thing I do wonder however, is how often we ( you and me) are called on to really play both instruments on the same gig. Personally, I don't think that happens all that often anymore. That gives you the option of buying a single channel head and more choices like the Tecamp Puma 500 and 900, Aguilar Tonehammer 500, and possibly a used Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2.

Ric

7. Ric Vice

Jazz Cat,
    I've owned the both the GK 200MB Combo and both the GK MBE&MBS. While there very lightweight portable amplifiers, the newer ones sound better with BG than DB. IMHO.

Ric

8. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

That's really good know. Thank you Rick.

9. jlo95

jlo95

Jazzcat:
    I've played the GKmb150 before and loved it on upright, wasn't sure if it was equally good on electric, I guess i'd have to test it out to really know for sure.

Kung: Not looking to spend more than a grand right now, I'm currently a senior about to move to college and gigging frequently. Looking for something easy to move and store.

Thanks everyone for the help!

10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

I'm very happy with Euphonic Audio. If I need it to be a bit less clean for EBG, I use a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI or I'm sure something similar. Awesome equipment.

I'd also check out Mark Bass, which I've never owned, but have heard and demo'ed. That stuff wasn't really out when I made my stake, but I think it's a good call.

GK has a specific sound. I really like it for BG and I think it can work for DB, though it's not my favorite. Depending on how much sound and power you need, they have a lot of choices and there's a lot on the 2nd mkt. EA stuff never goes on sale, but GK does at places like Guitar Center.

Kind of depends on what your priorities are. I'm 100% happy with EA. I never think about it any more. I have a Micro 300 head and Wizzy 110 (bought both used here) and an iAmp 500 Combo. They're both great and I never "need" the 500 into 12" combo for doublebass, but it is nice sometimes. The micro was supposed to be my backup and portable rig, but I use it most of the time. For a BG gig with some volume, probably a 2nd Wizzy 10 would do it, but I haven't tried one (or needed to). The 500 Combo has done great in a bar with a rock band.

11. Lo-E

Lo-E

A rehearsal studio I've used from time to time has a small Markbass combo (I'm sorry, I don't know the model, but it may be a MINI CMD 151P) that surprised me with how well it worked for both electric and upright.

12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Disclosures:
    Too many to list.
  13. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    I am using the Ibanez Promethean and it doubles really nicely. It is a newer amp and not a lot of stores carry it in stock. I really lucked into mine and the thing is great. Really really great.

14. Ric Vice

Violen,
    Are you using the older amp with the graphic EQ or the newer one with shelving tone controls? I was very partial to the original one with graphic sliders.

Ric