1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

good amp techs in phoenix az?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by subbasshz, Feb 24, 2013.

1. subbasshz

subbasshz

I have been putting off getting a redbear mk120 looked at but the time has finally come where I need to just bite the bullet. any good techs in phoenix area? a shop near me wants to charge 80$ just to get it on the bench. . . Ill pay that if I know its phoenix's finest, so where do ya'll take your tube heads for service?
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Google says TB'er "B-string" (Jon) is a little over 3 hours away. He knows what he's doing as is also very helpful here. Worth the drive, or perhaps he can refer you to a pheonix tech??

$80 bench fee isn't too far out of line to me, most are $70-$75.
  3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Do they apply that $80 to the total repair cost? If so, what's the problem? If you're not sure, find out. If not, go elsewhere.

What needs to be understood is the fact that a lot of the repair comes from doing things that don't actually change the unit- this includes checking voltages, making sure it has no bad solder joints, making sure the tube sockets are snug, checking tubes, etc. This not only takes time, it also requires a large investment in test equipment.
  4. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

I've used M-Troniks in Mesa with good results.
  5. subbasshz

subbasshz

It was explained to me that 80$ is JUST for basically your spot in line, non refundable, non negotiable, nothing.

might have to PM B-string. . .
  6. rpsands

rpsands

I have had work on tube heads done by tber Timv who is excellent.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
  7. og61pbass

og61pbass

Mtroniks in Mesa,good shop friendly ,knowledgable staff...
  8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Having worked in consumer electronics for over 35 years, I have to say this is the first time I have seen that anyone collects money just for a spot in line and doesn't apply it toward the service work. This is like a cover charge, only to take your date (the amp) to a service department. There's no freaking way I would do this, for several reasons. First, because I understand how service departments are run and need to be run, second, because it's a ridiculous price to pay just to get a place for something on a shelf and third, if it doesn't go toward the service price and they don't apply it to the service bill, it looks like they're trying to make up the difference between the warranty rate paid by manufacturers and retail rate (assuming they're actually a warranty station).

I don't think they would like me if I went there for service. This is a major reason I'm glad I learned to do a lot of this stuff for myself. If I can't do it, I know others who can but $80 just to plop something on a shelf is BS. What is the shop labor rate?