1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

good bass book for advance bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by willbassyeah, Jan 6, 2014.

1. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Hi guys, is there any good bass book for advance player? All of mine are that of beginner learning which i already know on how to apply, i am at that stage whereby i can play most rock bassline, but struggling to play other genre...i am currently looking into the following book to improve myself, is there any other recommendation?

http://www.amazon.com/Jaco-Pastoriu...=1-1-spell&keywords=jaco pastorus bass method

Forget to say, i have blues bass by ed friedland, and also my bass hero is pino palladino as he is able to be awesome without too much soloing...
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

One book I always come back to is "Muted Grooves for Bass" by Josquin Des Pres. It's a great workout in beat subdivision. Once you go through this book you'll be able to place your notes (or group of notes) anywhere within a measure consciously, which is a great asset for funk and rnb players and basically anyone else relying heavily on syncopation. I've also recommended it to sax players!

It's in a way very similar to A. Wellington's Rhythm Yardstick.
  3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Check this out:
    http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/default.asp
    Also:
    http://www.jazzbooks.com/
    You can also go the classical route and get Simandl, Sturm, Storch, Bille etc etc. Bach Cellos Suites are a favorite, but get the Cello book. There are some editions that are done for Bass, but most of the music is in Tenor Clef. Better to get the cello book and deal with note out of range however you like.
  4. Boris62

Boris62

Standing in the shadows of Motown.
    The Latin bass book.
    Chord studies for trombone.
    Charlie Parker omni book.
    These four books, if you can get through them will lift you above a lot of other bass players. None of them have tab which will really help your musicianship.
    Good luck!
  5. GastonD

GastonD

Boris62 provided a good list.

I'd like to add Gary Willis' Fingerboard Harmony book, and point that Berklee has re-issued (I think) the trombone chord book by the one geared specifically to the electric bass.
  6. Boris62

Boris62

Hey Gaston, I have that Gary Willis book too, it's a really great concept and it forces you to know the neck soooooo well.