1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Good Bass cabinet also used for guitar

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JerseyP, Apr 12, 2014.

1. JerseyP

JerseyP

Hi,

I am a drummer. I'm finally going to take the plunge and invest in some recording gear. I want to create full backing tracks to sing over. I play guitar, but this also means I'm going to need to record some bass too. I have a friend that will give me a good deal on his Guild Pilot bass. It has active pickups.

I have decided that an old Traynor YBA-1 Bass Master is what I'm looking for. The Traynor is 50W 8 ohms. I imagine I'm looking for a 112 or 212 bass cabinet that would be good for guitar and useful for bass. I'm not sure what ohm rating I should aim for the cabinet because 50w is low for bass. I'm going to use an attenuator to drive the Traynor.

I'm trying to get a collection of versatile gear that can be used for multiple purposes. I've only ever used combo amps, so I've never had to deal with this before. I'm interested in guitar tone first, and bass only for recording. I'm leaning toward an eden Ex112. If you could give me some advice I would be grateful.

2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

If you're just using for recording I would just look into pedal or two. Tech 21 makes some good ones. For live I don't think you will find any cabs good for both that are in-expensive.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The YBA1 is a tube amp. As such it NEEDS to connect to a cabinet that matches the impedance the amp is expecting. You need an 8Ω cabinet for an 8Ω tube amp.

Attenuator?

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I would be looking for an old Altec 418 15" speaker or a JBL D or K130 15" In a decent cabinet, or make one for it.
    Both those speakers are capable of handling the full output of the Traynor amp and both are bright enough to work very very well for guitar.
    I have a pair of old Ampeg SVT 115's that have the Altec option and even though the are the 15" they record quite a bit like the cabinets containing Altec 417 12" Randy Rhodes and Carlos Santana recorded with.
    Utterly Fab on bass too.:bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

This is how I get it done.

DuallyT (tweeter off).

[​IMG]

7. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

Fearful 15/6 can do it all! The Bass Rhythm Guitar and lead guitar were all played thru a Streamliner 900 and A 15/6

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  8. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I once built a cab that combined a 12" electric guitar speaker with a 15" woofer. The guitar speaker was of course protected from over-excursion by a highpass filter.

It was unsuccessful for either guitar or bass. It had too much low end for guitar, and stepped on the bass's territory; and then its top end was exactly like a guitar cab so it clashed with the guitars. I suppose it could theoretically have been used for either, but my opinion is that you want significantly different voicing in the cabs used for the two instruments, because that way they each have their own "slot" in the mix.

But the idea of a guitar + bass cab is an interesting one, even if it presents some significant challenges.

So, Jersey P, let me ask you a couple of questions: Suppose there was a cab that could do both. Would you rather it be a 4 ohm cab, or an 8 ohm cab, or would it really matter?

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Clean flat hifi bass cab and guitar rig sim.

10. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Bag End S12 or S15. Not the X version with a coax tweeter. One can carry guitar at a gig, you'd need a pair and a more powerful amp than the Traynor to pull off most gigs on bass. Great tone for both instruments, not too strong on the low end, not too bright up top.

11. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Good call, that would definitely work.

12. JerseyP

JerseyP

I think the speaker will be the most crucial part. It also seems like going with a 15" would be the best compromise. So far I'm leaning on getting an ampeg B115E. I'll try out the speaker first, but I might replace it with a Altec 418, JBL 130, or JBL 140.

A speaker with a high frequency range should work. The old ones seem to have a higher frequency range than normal.

Maybe an Eminence Commonwealth 15" would work.