1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Good bass case to fly with?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by antonspon, Feb 18, 2014.

1. antonspon

antonspon

Hoping some of you could help me out with some feedback/advice here - I'm looking for a decent (but not crazy expensive) hard case for my Jazz bass, to keep it (hopefully) intact on an overseas flight. The brands I'm comparing are: Hiscox Liteflite, Road Runner, Gator and Musician's Gear...any thoughts?
  2. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    I'd highly recommend using a Mono bag, and DO NOT check the bass!

The temperature and pressure changes in the cargo hold are just as bothersome to the bass as rough handlers, and FAA regulations prohibit airlines from forcing you to check your instrument; I've flown with basses dozens and dozens of times in the last few years, and have never had a problem carrying on and storing them in either an overhead bin or coat closet.

Good luck!
  3. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I use the Gator case, and wrap the bass in a couple towels or tour shirts, with extra padding at both ends of the case. Make sure it is snug in there.
    Loosen the strings before flight.
    Should be fine.
  4. richntiff

richntiff

I'd suggest one with a good power to weight ratio, and a wing designed such that the air pressure on the bottom of the case is greater than than on top of the case, thereby creating a pressure differential and the associated 'lift' that will allow the case to in fact, fly..

I'm sorry.
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I would only check an instrument if it were in a flight case. Significantly more heavy duty than anything mentioned in the OP.
  6. sotua

sotua

I had a bass checked in the Gator ATA flight case (the molded plastic one). Airline lost it, and flew it for four days all over northeastern USA. Finally it arrived in South America, with a couple of scratches but the bass was intact.
  7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

I'd be very careful of assuming you will be able to get aboard with your bass. I understand that recently the US Transportation Department and FAA were directed to complete a set of rules that would permit musicians to travel with their instruments in either the overhead, or a coat closet...that direction is precisely because musicians continue to have instruments damaged or lost by airlines. So, since there are no published regulations yet, I'd err on the side of caution, and bring a sturdy ATA type case.
  8. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

+1, for inter island flights where I know they will let me on with a gigbag I use a Mono, for mainland flights Ive had good luck with the SKB waterproof flight case.
  9. JGbassman

JGbassman

10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Really? I'd never heard that before. Maybe I can finally retire my ~100lb Anvil flight case!
  11. panamonte

panamonte

I've checked basses and guitars into the hold in Hiscox cases and never had any problems. I always use some clothes I'm taking with me to pack the bass/guitar in snugly so it can't move at all within the case. The cases themselves are very solidly constructed - try standing on one. I know there are some people on here who absolutely freak out at the thought of putting their instrument in the hold. I'm not one of them.
  12. Dug2

Dug2