1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Good bass for Prog rock/metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Dec 7, 2013.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Hey there. I'm just looking for a good bass for prog metal/rock bass. So, main things would be slim fast neck, nice cutting sound, and overall great playability. Maximum price would be about $2000. I'm leaning towards a 5-string but I would maybe consider a 4.
    Thanks,
    Max

2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    You need a Baryton. Accept no substitutes.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

2G's will get you a very nice bass. Run the rack at your local GC (or local music stores) and see what feels good to you.

You could economize on the bass & if need be (for metal) make sure your rig has enough go-power too.

4. Ironbar

Ironbar

I'm not attempting to be snarky here, so get me wrong. But I've never understood people asking what kind of bass to get for a particular kind of music. I mean, wouldn't you rather check into what sort of basses artists are using for the music you like and/or want to play and then sorta take it from there?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Bongo. Comes in 4, 5, and 6 string configurations. Can sound like a Rickenbacker if you play your cards right.

You might be able to get a used Spector Euro 5LX (neck-thru) or Rebop (bolt-on) for that price too.

7. Duckwater

Duckwater

You can use anything. My favorite Prog tones come from John Wetton's P bass with King Crimson, Chris Squire's Rickenbacker, and Geddy's Jazz bass all strung with Roto 66 strings and overdriven.

8. DannyBob

DannyBob

+1,000,000

BONGO BONGO BONGO BONGO BONGO!

Arguably the best prog/metal bassist ever uses one! (John Myung, even though it's obvious)

9. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Look into a Spector Euro 5

10. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

Fender American Standard Jazz Bass. Versatile tone, very thin neck, and there are four and five string versions.

11. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

I'd buy a Fender Precision, or a Rick 4003.

12. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This.

13. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Rd artist, check out bongripper. There is not a sound that can't be had with an Rd. Great sustain, great high & lows.

14. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

You can use any kind of bass for any kind of music. All you're going to get are people's opinions on basses that THEY like, not necessarily something that would work for you.

A thin fast neck could mean different things to different people. Some people would call the standard Fender P neck thin, and others will call it a baseball bat.

I'm going to recommend you actually go to a music store and try out some different basses to find out what you like. No one can tell you what you will like except you.

15. ddhm

ddhm

Spector Euro. I can get lots o' tones out of mine. Swap out the tonepump pre though.

16. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz Supporting Member

+1000. Great growly tone and awesome mids that cut through. Check out an Alex Webster, used. :bassist::bassist::bassist:

17. nyangsw

nyangsw

Used Spector Alex Webster signature

18. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

For prog rock and metal, make sure you have a powerful rig, then add more cabs and an overdrive and distortion set up. Ultimately most basses will work and the amp will be the biggest deciding factor. If you're looking at that type of budget I'd do some serious personal research on my own to try as many basses as I can to see what necks I prefer. Notable examples would be Ibbys and Jazz basses. For 5 string necks personally my favorite is the Stingray 5.

19. grayn

grayn

I would highly recommend the Warwick Thumb (4 or 5).
    The neck is just right for articulate, accurate playing.
    Great, well defined, growly tone too.

20. inate_hex

inate_hex

The Bongo works for everything :) the stealth version looks very mean too!

21. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    +1

I don't know why some people think a bunch of anonymous strangers with questionable credentials can make a better decision than they can.

Find a big music store, walk in with no preconceived notions and try all the basses until you find the sound you like.