1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Good Bass Techs!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stumbo, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

The Amp forum has a "Good Amp Tech" sticky. I think it's time the TB also has a "Good Bass Tech" thread!

Post the contact info on GOOD bass techs you found/use in your area! Let's combine all our references and get this thread stickied!

Some techs work in stores, some not, so as much info you can provide is helpful. Something along the lines of the following: (copy and paste if it helps).

Name:
    Business Name:
    Hours:
    Address:
    US: City/State/Zip:
    Other:
    Telephone:
    Email:
    Social Media:
    Specialty:
    Other:

I'll start:

Name: John Kallas
    Business Name: John K Vintage Basses
    US: City/State/Zip: Thousand Oaks, Ca (takes orders/ships from all U.S.)
    Email: jrkallas at verizon.net
    Specialty: Repairs/restorations/setups for guitars/basses (also amps). Builds custom/unique "vintage" 4 string basses only.
    Other: TBer ID: JohnK_10, lots of builds in TB's Luthier forum, working musician
  2. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

Name: Jon Mouradian
    Business Name: Mouradian Guitar Co.
    Address: 810 Main St Winchester, MA 01890
    Telephone: 781-756-4877
    Email: info AT mouradianguitar DOT com
    Website (unfinished): Mouradian Guitar Co - Home
    Specialty:
    The website never got past "under construction" and some basic info, which I have listed here. I do not know how reliable the Email address is, given they don't have the time to work on the web site. I have only used the phone.

Had 2 basses setup a couple of years back, Mouradian CS-74 and Alembic Exploiter. While his dad Jim is legendary, I dealt with with Jon who as far as I can tell has more to do with the business. Can't say enough great things. Had some hardware changed, Jon got the gold Schaller parts nobody in the US seemed to even carry, at a price cheaper than I had found anywhere online. Far cry from the usual ridiculous repair shop parts markup I've found anywhere else. Highest quality work, at a price lower than the local backroom guitar store troll charges. Jon got both setup exactly as I like. May be a long waiting list for service, but well worth it.

Nice little shop they have as well, some interesting guitars and basses for sale at good prices. Of course it was also cool to hear about my CS from Jim and Jon, there's little concrete info on them even online. The shop was a 2 hour drive for me from CT, so it's hardly local, but I was glad to make the trip.

More reviews:

Mouradian Guitar Company - Winchester, MA

Mouradian Guitar Co. - Winchester, MA
  3. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

Name: Brian Lewis
    Business Name: Lewis Bass and Guitar
    Hours: I dunno...I just call and he says, "C'mon over!"
    Address:
    US: City/State/Zip: Chandler, AZ 85224
    Other:
    Telephone: 602.680.8084
    Email:
    Social Media:
    Specialty: Repairs/restorations/setups/design-build for guitars/basses. Graduate or Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery
  4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

No need to repeat the info above on Mouradian, but:

Both are absolute aces in my book. While I do all my own setups, Jim and Jon have done top notch electronics and fingerboard shaping work for me. As an added bonus, they're about 4 miles form my house. :spit:

But yes, a two-hour drive is worth it. Call ahead for appointments that are about 3-4 weeks out at this point. But Jim has helped me in a pinch - input jack while I wait for 5 minutes and oogle the nice used selection of instruments, for example.

Great service, great work, great prices, great guys - the absolute cream of the crop on this planet.
  5. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Name: Neil Sargent
    Business Name: Professional Guitar Repair
    Hours: 10 to 5
    Address: Thompson Street
    City/State: Houston, Texas
    Phone: 713-869-2588
  6. redcloud

redcloud

I can highly recommend: Steve Weber, Weber Custom Guitars, located in Granville, Ohio about 20 miles East of Columbus. HE is excellent for regretting, setups, and does Plekking.
  7. soulman969

soulman969

Joe Armani
    Armani Guitars
    Littleton, Colorado
    (720) 339-0983
    email: armaniguitars@gmail.com

Joe is a periodic advertiser on this site which is how I came to find him. He's a Luthier who builds beautiful custom made acoustics as well as providing repair and setup services for both acoustic and electric instruments. His service is top notch and his prices very reasonable.

Check out his website for the most informative piece I've ever read on tonewoods.

link; Tone woods in Acoustic Guitars
  8. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Name: John Carruthers
    Business Name: Carruthers Guitars
    Hours: Appt only
    Address: 4700 Calle Carga
    US: City/State/Zip: Camarillo, California 93012
    Other: annex located in Venice, CA
    Telephone: 805-482-9696
    Email:
    Social Media:
    Specialty: Legendary builder of fine instruments for over 40 yrs
    Other:
  9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Name: Erik Anderson
    Business Name: Sky Guitars
    Hours: 10-6 Mon-Sat, 12-4 Sun
    Address: 531 N. Elm St. (store)
    US: Denton, TX
    Other: 521 N. Elm St. (repair shop)
    Telephone: 940-387-2637
    Email:skyguitars@gmail.com
    Social Media:
    Other:940-387-2671
  10. gottawalk

gottawalk

For the Seattle and outlying areas;
    Aviator Audio;
    Aviator Audio - Home

Sorry; don't have time to type it all in, but this guy is boss.
  11. K2000

K2000 Supporting Member

Need a recommendation for New York City.
  12. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Name: Mike Maggio
    Business Name: Maggio Music Center
    Hours: Mon-Fri 10am-9pm, Sat 10am-6 pm, Sun 11am-6pm
    Address: 8403 18th Ave (between 84th St & New Utrecht Ave)
    US: City/State/Zip: Brooklyn, NY 11214
    Other: All instruments
    Telephone: 718 259 4468
    Email:
    Website:Music Store In Brooklyn Not much on the site. Use FB.
    Social Media: MAGGIO MUSIC CENTER - Musician/Band - Brooklyn, NY | Facebook
    Specialty: Repairs
    Other: over 70 years in business
    Reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/maggio-music-center-brooklyn#
    Info from: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f30/nyc-bass-guitar-tech-repair-31836/

More TB NY Tech referrals Good amp, guitar, bass repair tech NYC
  13. themacinator

themacinator

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Excellent thread idea...mods...sticky this.
  14. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Just had my stuff repaired there, awesome work wow
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Name: Bob Groat
    Business Name: Groat Instruments
    Hours: 10:00 am-5:30 pm M-F, 10:00 am-2:00 pm Saturday Call me, or just stop in!
    Address: 3222 Airway Drive, #4 (new location) This is the former location of Michael Dolan Custom Guitars. It's a larger, more commercial situation for me, and is a one-of-a-kind shop for all of Northern California.
    US: City/State/Zip: Santa Rosa, CA 95403-2001
    Telephone: (707) 575-0654
    Email: GroatInstruments@AOL.com
    Social Media: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001735698495 (log-in to view)
    Specialty: We do guitar/bass set-ups, structural repairs for both acoustic and electric instruments, electronic repair/modifications, finish repairs in lacquer, polyester, and acrylic urethane, custom finishes, fret work, as well as the building of Groat Instruments basses and guitars.
    Other: produces carbon fiber bodied fretted/fretless acoustic basses.
    TB review: Legendary builders Michael Dolan/ Bob Groat did a satin finish. It was not cheap and it took them weeks to do it. Feels like satin ! Nice and smooth finish. This allows you to keep the groove and stay in time. A sticky poly coat will cost you a fraction of a second when switching from finger style to slap - NOT on this finish !!
  16. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Name: Jeremy Perks
    Business Name: Rudy's Music Stop
    Hours: 10:30 am-6:30 pm M-F, Not sure of Saturday-Call
    Address: On 7th Avenue - Just around the corner from the main store at 167 48th Street (they'll tell you the bldg address)
    City/State/Zip: New York, NY 10036
    Telephone: (212) 391-1699 (This is the main store - just ask for the repair department)

Jeremy has been my bass tech for over 10 years and he's a master. He's done work on everthing from my vintage Fenders to my Alembics, and has also assembled 4 Warmoths for me in that time that are easily boutique level.

Whether it's wood related or wiring electronics his experience and skill are expert. He's installed numerous non-standard control schemes to my spec and all operate perfectly. Every ebay purchase I make is immediately presented for a full evaluation and he has "saved" me on several occasions by identifying issues that weren't readily apparent.

You can take any recommendation he makes to the bank and know you're not getting hosed for unnecessary extras.

There are some excellent techs here in NYC, but I'm looking no further until Jeremy decides to leave the state. I can't say enough about the quality of his work and integrity. I give him a 10.

P.S. His day off is usually Thursday. Call ahead for more info - he does tour with The Fab Faux upon occasion as one of their techs.
  17. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

Name: Dave Hirsch, Bill Baker
    Business Name: Dave's Sound Repair
    Hours: Monday - Tues - Friday 11:00 am - 6:00 pm ,Wednesday - Thursday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm, Saturday 12:00 pm - 4:00pm
    Address: 622 Rt. 10W
    US: Whippany, N.J. 07981
    Telephone: (973)-386-5840
    Reviews:Dave's Sound Repair Whippany, NJ, 07981 - YP.com

Dave works with gear, Bill is the guitar wizard. They are both highly competent, professional and won't rip you off. Dave is a bit eccentric and occasionally rubs people the wrong way but he is a good guy who cares about what he does. Bill puts a little extra into every job and really knows his guitars.
  18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

19. Dug2

Dug2

20. Dug2

Dug2

^ btw......check out his clients