1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Good Beginner Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Gerbs, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Gerbs

Gerbs

Apr 4, 2014
    Welp, a friend of mine said I could learn bass unplugged. Aaaaaand....... ya can't. It's just too hard to distinguish whether the rumble in the background was you messing up and bumping a string, or just an ambient noise in the house. Anyway, point is, I need an amp. Nothing fancy just for in the apartment, so it will be quiet more often than not. Any favs? Thanks in advance

2. DogBone

DogBone

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Virginia
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Get any small combo amp that you can find used in a store near you. I myself get by with a Fender Rumble 15 in my apartment. Got it off a guy for $50 or so.

5. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2013
    south Louisiana
    Yep.
    To OP:
    I tried to learn acoustic and it was a joke!
    If you let people know where a bouts you live, hometown TB vets might be ready to throw a newb a good deal. Any used small combo amp with an headphone out jack will be good. I liked my Peavey Basic 112. I learned on a PockitRockit Headphone amp which was $60 new with the phones. Apartments are noisy and to learn proper technique you need to block all that out by the overwhelming volume of your cabs, or more conservatively a set of headphones. ;)

you can do it :bassist:
    fnord!

6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    A used Ampeg B100R is where it's at...