Good budget pj?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wild4oldcars, Mar 31, 2014.

1. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

As the title says, I may be in the market for a new budget pj soon. All my basses probably cost below 300 apiece, so I'd like to stay in that ballpark. Recently, Ive been looking at some vintage Ibanez models, the new Squier VM PJ, and some vintage Peavey models. All of these have modest body styling, similar or identical to a traditional P body, which I find most comfortable. I prefer gloss necks vastly to satin, and would like around a 1.625" nut (but that is definitely not a dealbreaker). Am not too hung up on color, fingerboard/body wood, or pickups (I have some killer EMG-inspired peavey pickups I could throw in if called for). I would prefer a passive setup. Is there anything you guys think I should be looking at as far as quality materials and workmanship in a 17 year old's price range?

Oh, and please no VM jag suggestions, they just don't work for me. Modern Player jag may be a contender though...

Thanks for the help/info :D
  2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

A PJ ibanez roadstar from the 80s is going to probably be the best band for the buck.
  3. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

I'm a Fender/Squier guy and I own a Squier P Bass Special. I like mine alot and they're very nice basses! If you can find one in the Classifieds or on eBay; they'll most likely be around your price range... Maybe from about $200 to $400

Good luck! :)
  4. Major Softie

Major Softie

U.S. Peavey Forum. Best deal (for the dollar) there is for what you have described. If you like a skinny neck, then it's perfect, but it does have a 1.5" nut.
    Later Forums are not P/J - you want the first model.

Here's one recently purchased by one of our members:

[​IMG]
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-peavey-forum-plus-991435/

His is a "Plus" with active pickups. The nonplussed regular model is passive.
    (yes, I did that on purpose) ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Were these the ones from the early 2000s with the neck sized bridge pickups and the satin neck? Standard series was the name I think?
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

The Squier Standard Series Precision Specials were discontinued in 2010 ... satin finish on neck and neck sized J pup in the bridge position.
  8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Yamaha rbx170
  9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I'd go with the Squire VM PJ. It's a killer bass price aside. I'll post more and a pic. in the morning.
  10. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

Okay, my suggestion is below your budget, and the squiers suggested will have slightly better hardware, but once set up an SX Ursa 3 is a really good value. Like this one: http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa3mn3ts.html

Anyway,I love mine:

[​IMG]
  11. eukatheude

eukatheude

Cort is great bang for your buck.
  12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I had considered this, but Im kinda reluctant to it, as I've nevr had any experience with yamaha basses. Anything you could share? The 24 fret is enticing for sure, but I had always assumed these to have a 1.5" and satin finished neck, which are not quite my taste.
  13. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Squier VM PJ has a gloss finish neck, 1.625" nut, decent hardware and electronics, a light body and solid construction. I have one, and the only mod I've made is switching it to a master volume/tone/ 3 way switch setup. I've gigged with it happily since. No complaints at all, especially for a brand new sub-£250 bass.
  14. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    I bought this bass to keep at work to practice late at night. I can't say enough good things about it. Great fit and finish, beautiful rosewood fingerboard the fretwork is very good. The bass is nice and light the LP Blue finish is perfect. I was able to set up the bass with super low action. Hardware and pickups are more than up to the job. I have five vintage Fender Precisions and I have to say this bass equals them maybe even surpasses them. Buy it you won't regret it.[​IMG][​IMG]
  15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I think the nut is wider than 1.5" but I may be wrong. I'm not even sure if the neck is satin finished. It might be completely unfinished, which I prefer. The pickups though are great. Powerful and clean. The newer ones have matching headstocks. I preferred it over an affinity PJ I tried, but the neck may be a deal breaker for you. And the body shape isn't exactly traditional. I didn't like the pointiness of it at all. Most GC's and Sam Ash's have them so it may be worth a try.
  16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. Supporting Member

Bottom feed on Craigslist. With the economy, there is so much stuff out there. I've seen stuff vary by 50% based on how long it was out there. Sometimes cash at the right moment will get you a steal.
  17. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I really think the VM PJ would be perfect for me... if it had 21 frets. I forgot to include that in my OP, but I really use the high E on my basses alot, and need a bass with that capability. Which is why i started gravitiating to Ibanez Roadstar pjs and Peavey pjs, because most of them had at least 21 frets.
  18. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    LOL I use the high E on the G string all the time I just bend up to it.
  19. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Eww lol well I guess that's one way to do it. But during arpeggiations in a minor, there's not that much time to bend with just a pinky, while fingering other notes in the chord... :meh:
  20. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

ESP/LTD 204 Relic or 214 Non relic. Meets all your criteria.
  21. Richenbacher

Richenbacher

I was going to suggest the rbx as well. Recently played a gig with one that was lent to me and it ROCKED. Super lightweight and a great growl. I'm pretty sure it was a satin neck, but the neck width was wider than my fretless jazz. I thought it was extremely comfortable, and it's on my GAS list as of now. YMMV I'd definitely check one out :)