1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

good cheap amps for beginner

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RxFunk, Dec 17, 2012.

1. RxFunk

RxFunk

Looking for a really good amp( combo or cab and head). I'm, as some of you may know, really new to bass playing and currently have an Ibanez IBZ10B, which doesn't sound too good,it wasn't a big deal before because I had an A/E, but now that that's gone it's a good deal more important that I have a good sounding amp. I really have no idea what to look for in an amp, and I really wouldn't like to spend over $200. I'd be playing jazz, blues, funk, soul ,RnB, a little rock if that helps any with where I should be looking, local store carries Orange, and I think I've seen some Behringers or Hartkes in there too.

2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Used Peavey
    Cheap, loud and reliable.

3. RxFunk

RxFunk

I won't be playing out any, just in my room so I don't need anything big, if that changes anything.

4. RxFunk

RxFunk

Thanks for the fast reply, I've seen a used Peavey Minx. How are those, if you know? I think it was like $70

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IPYF

IPYF

Ashdown After8 or Perfect10 would be worth a look. Both great, and cheap.

7. RxFunk

RxFunk

The after8 is appealing, especially so with the headphone jack, which I probably should have mentioned in my first post that a headphone jack would be a bonus.

8. MyMusic

MyMusic

Used peavy or ampeg combo.

9. RxFunk

RxFunk

I see a fair amount of peaveys locally, don't think I've ever seen an ampeg.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    You should go look for some Ampeg stuff ;) I'd suggest either the Ampeg BA108 or BA110. I have both. The BA110 is a little louder and a little heavier duty, but for $100 (less if you find a sale), the BA108 is a heck of a good little practice amp and weighs a good bit less, too.

11. RxFunk

RxFunk

Do either have a headphone jack, I know ampeg is a good amp and that would really sell me on it? Also, one of my friends who plays bass is a big acoustic fan. Any fans ofacoustic amps here?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Ya, the BA108 and BA110 both have headphone and CD/MP3 input jacks.

I've played most of the 1st generation Acoustic stuff, and while I wasn't impressed with most of it, the B20 is a decent little practice amp. But the Ampeg stuff is better and sounds bigger IMHO. Other people might have a different reaction but that's how I felt. You can find both the BA amps and the Acoustic stuff at most Guitar Centers, so if you have one nearby, best thing to do is take a spin over there. Call first to make sure they have them in stock, though ;)

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

If you're only playing in your room, you may want to dispense with the amp altogether. Get a nice dedicated preamp and run it into your stereo or (better yet) headphones.

This is the setup I use for the 8-10 hours per week I practice away from the band in my home studio (ie. bedroom).

Bass --> Sansamp --> mixer --> stereo --> phones or speakers

Many preamps are also processors and some of them have primitive mixers built into them so you can input the music you want to play along with and also have headphone outputs. $200 can get you some decent sound, especially if you look around for a used piece of gear.

14. darius8

darius8

Headphone and CD/MP3 input jacks will be an excellent feature in a practice amp.
    Those Peavey MAX series bass combos are built tough.

15. dominic54321

dominic54321

I highly recommend the TC Electronics BG250 combo amp. It's a little more than what you want to spend, but WELL worth the money! IMO one of the best bang for your buck deals out there! I usually use high powered, loud rigs, and this little combo can keep up no problem. It's a very loud and articulate 250watts.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TC-Electronic-BG250-250W-1x15-Bass-Combo-Amp-107623498-i2378433.gc

$274.51 for one more day with coupon code HLDY15.

edit: You also get a free TC Electronics Corona Chorus pedal with the rebate offer going on. You could always sell it and it would bring you back down the the $200 or less area for an amp capable of practice and/or most gigs. Did I mention it's super lightweight also! Only 35lbs.

16. RxFunk

RxFunk

I'll be buying a bass in the next couple of days from a TBer and it has a preamp on it is an aguilar obp-1 I believe.

17. RxFunk

RxFunk

I'll see if I can find one of those, I'm pretty sure I saw one on the local cl a few days ago.

18. john m

john m Supporting Member

anything--

But a Line 6 Studio 10 sounds good---- and can actually be used to rehearse with other musicians at reasonable volumes.

19. RxFunk

RxFunk

I'll certainly check those out, see if I can find one to play through at GC or somewhere.

20. RxFunk

RxFunk

Local store also carries Vox and Blackstar if either of them make a good bass practice, that would be a lot easier to try than going to GC.

21. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member